1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all self employed business owners who supply their own healthcare

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by eggfooyoung, Nov 15, 2018.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Whoo! I'm Ric Flair, bitch! :crackup:

zrx12man likes this.
  2. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

3. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I've stayed out of this thread.....mostly because I've been sailing the boat down to the Abacos....but WTF are you talking about? My blood pressure meds are $3.00/month. You're blood pressure med supplier must be bilking the shit out of your insurance company. That would never happen.... I can't believe this thread is still in General...

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Can I ask, How much do you pay out of your own pocket for healthcare, your and your spouses policy..meds. deductables?
    "Out the ass" is not a monetary figure I can use in a useful way for comparison.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's the problem - those getting free insurance and getting cheap insurance when they are more likely to use it do not count. Their opinions are not viable and don't matter a bit in the discussion as they are getting shit for free that I and others like me are paying for. When they pay they can have a say in it.

No, that is not the same thing as the basic insurance gamble. Not remotely close.

Why do I keep responding? Because you keep making posts just like this. Your insistence that people getting charity by order of the law is cool is bs. Your other stuff like high blood pressure being a pre existing condition that kept your wife from getting insurance is bullshit. Doesn't matter what state you're in. You throw out shit like that as if it's true and why the ACA is good - you are flat out wrong.

cav115 likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Quit making up stupid reasons why the ACA is good then.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I call it effectively catastrophic because it doesn't pay shit until I'm out of pocket for more than 1/3 of my salary for the year. That would be a fucking catastrophe to me.

I don't qualify for what they consider catastrophic.

I have repeatedly said I have a normal plan through the government site. I pay close to 600 a month in premiums. I have a 6500 or 6900 (I forget which right now) deductible. It covers absolutely nothing that is remotely of any use until that deductible is paid. It does not cover 3 doctor visits - which wouldn't do shit if I have the flue anyway as the docs who take the shit insurance are booked two weeks or more out. It does not cover any prescriptions. I cannot pay the fine because I worry about something happening that could cost my wife her house.

Got any other assumptions you'd like to make due to your refusal to pay attention?

8. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I haven't read any of this, but I'll add my own useless cents as I have in other Obamacare threads...

Troy, I love ya bro, LOL

NOTHING the gov't has done has ever directly affected my life and wallet as much as Obamacare. (Stop calling it ACA, let's give credit where credit is due.) I consider myself middle class. I do ok, my paycheck pretty much covers all bills and my wife, working as a retail asst mgr, makes our spending money. Obamacare basically set me back 10 years in my 20+ career in IT. It hurt the ever loving hell out of me. I could list all the ways, but I'll simply say Obamacare hurt the hell out of me.

cav115 and kangasj like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't call it Obamacare because he wasn't the only one bought off, every single fucker that voted yes on it screwed us over.

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

True, but he was the main face at the podium preaching what it would do FOR us.

11. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Obama was the leader that pushed it, and pushed people to back it during the midnight deal. Doesn't matter who really thought it all up, he is the one that pushed it on us. I give him all the credit. :D Still, no use in arguing over such small tid bits. You call it ACA, I call it Obamacare. Doesn't change that it has really hurt my wallet.

12. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Very true....
    For my wife and I, we pay $1050/mo for premiums for a Bronze plan on the individual market. Neither of us has exceeded our 5 pre-deductible visits per year, so I'm not sure what our deductible is. We've had to pay for a couple lab tests and that sort of thing, though. I don't know how much she pays for meds, but it's not much. I take Ibuprofen from time to time, and that's it. I just turned 51, so I know that will likely start to change soon. That's partly why I gave up roadracing and took up sailing.

13. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

I did not use these terms, nor would I. People receiving subsidies for insurance in the form of tax deductions do count, in that they exist and are part of the equation. Again, it doesn't matter how you feel about it, they exist and will continue to exist. Do you actually know how those tax deductions are paid for?

I never said the ACA was good.

I don't care if my existence or opinion pisses you off. We've been over this a few times now.

14. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

If that's true, then you have an ACA-compliant plan and Federal law says plainly what's covered, like all the stuff I linked in your post above. I get the feeling I'm not the one that needs to pay more attention.

BTW, I believe the rules have changed for 2019 regarding qualifying for "catastrophic" health plans, and you no longer have to prove the "hardship exemption" stating any other insurance is too expensive. That and/or being under 30 is a qualifier, and the only difference between Catastrophic and Bronze is the deductible. From some people's premiums they've said on here, that might be a viable option.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

First - not pissed. Why would I be pissed about a posting on the internet? At the absolute most I laugh when you keep making assumptions about my insurance plan that aren't based on reality or anything I've posted. Especially amusing to watch you go sailing off in a different direction when your corrected. :D

Second - no you haven't used those terms, however that is exactly how your posts are coming across. You're holier than thou attitude about it's all good we pay more because it helps you and others. Yet at the same time bitching about what you have to pay is hilarious.

You evidently are having a hard time with all of this, maybe you're the emotional one? I've never said people getting free shit don't exist, I know they do and my health care costs have more than doubled to pay for them. I am saying they shouldn't get free shit. They shouldn't have a say in any of it. Yes, I know they do. Duh. They're the ones who made all of this seem like a good idea, now the lower middle class or upper lower class or whatever the hell I am gets royally fucked. Your posts don't piss me off but that part definitely does.

I know how I feel doesn't matter. I know how the tax deductions are paid for. I know all sorts of facts that you seem to think should change my opinion. Yet oddly they don't - freaky shit that. You really should stop making assumptions about what people do or don't know.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And here we have more assumptions.

What exactly are you trying to prove? Whatever it is you should stop. I do know my own coverage. I know it better than you do. I know what is or is not included. I do know that I am not eligible for what they call catastrophic coverage yet at the same time the cheapest plan they will sell me is nothing more than just that - even if they don't call it that. I already explained this perfectly clearly above, please at least try pay attention even if it means you may not know all you think you do....

cav115 likes this.
  17. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

So with few exceptions, everyone here is so dead set on the "Victim of Obamacare" narrative that no one has any interest at all in how the thing actually works?

You'll actually refuse to learn any way the law can benefit you at all, so you can continue to insist it's all tyranny forced upon you?

This should not be a political topic, it's a simple matter of a few minutes' reading:

https://www.healthcare.gov/

18. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

What you're saying just doesn't add up with what the law is. If you do have insurance coverage "straight from the government site", then you're complaining on here about something that's not actually happening. It's not a secret and not an assumption unless there's some top secret insurance "government site" built outside Federal law designed specifically to screw over people like you. How is it possible that your plan does not conform to the law?
    I asked if you knew how tax subsidies for health insurance premiums were funded because the penalties for not carrying health insurance is one of the prime sources of that funding. YEP.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

See this is why people have been calling you names.

You insist on acting as if no one other than you knows how it works while at the same time acting as if it wasn't forced on us. Serious question - what is wrong with you? Of course it was forced on us, it's a law :crackup:

Even better, it's a law enacted by politicians and as long as you keep arguing they're doing right by us it absolutely is a political matter :crackup:

Another serious question and one I'd actually like answered - why do you keep insisting that we don't know how it works? I've proven repeatedly that your assumptions are wrong about my plan and that I do know how it works. Why do you keep acting as if I don't? Why do you keep acting as if anyone who hates it must be too stupid to understand it - and yes, that is exactly what you are saying every time you post that we don't know how it works...

cav115 and kangasj like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So what, either I'm too stupid to understand my own healthcare plan or I'm lying? No you're pushing the envelop where I'm less amused and could get pissed. I don't like being called a liar. It's rather rude.

So come on since you know my plan inside and out - what did I say is happening that isn't? Be specific.