1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Democrats/liberals

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by redtailracing, Nov 17, 2018.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Safety. The card you play when "for the children" doesn't work...

If they were concerned about safety there would be a more comprehensive driver training curriculum and the driving skills test would be significantly more difficult. Way more people die from shit drivers than die from drunk drivers. I do not agree with drinking and driving but DUI checkstops are just safety Kabuki theater that generates alot of money for the police departments. I am far more concerned about being ran in to by a kid that just got their license or someone whos previous vehicle was a bicycle, rickshaw or burro than by some guy who had a few beer after work.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  2. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Let's be truthful about it.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Just going by the traffic fatalities I read about statewide, it appears that the percentage of traffic fatalities involving pedestrians and bicyclists is increasing, and it isn't drunks hitting them.

4. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

You want safety do ya? Ok.

First implement a one drop rule. Any perceptible alcohol and you get bracelets.
    Second, mandatory five figure fine, enforceable by lien or imprisonment plus a mandatory 3 months incarceration for the first offense.
    Finally, public registration so all your potential employers, volunteer orgs, etc can know of your failures as a human.

Drunk driving would disappear likity split.

:)

5. In Your Corner

Actually, the fine should be a percentage of your income in order that it actually hit the wealthy people fairly.

6. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Who said anything about detaining people? In case you didn’t notice, many retailers already have anti theft programs in place. Those little electronic tags that have to be removed upon your purchase? But I suppose having to wait for that to be done is unamerican too?

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It is because both the people behind the wheel and the people crossing the road are too busy looking at their phones. I fully support any reasonable legislation you can come up with to fix that. Good luck, because what they have passed so far hasn't been working.

Over reacting isn't the answer. Also the biggest money makers in the DUI game are the insurance companies. I feel the BAC levels were about right at 0.10. Where they are now is a bit ridiculous. I am not trying to prevent ALL deaths as I am smart enough to realize that can not happen, no matter what we do. I do think that reasonable steps to avoid them should be taken. For rational people, the question is what is reasonable and constitutional.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  8. redtailracing

Funny part is my idea of what the punishment should be isn’t far off from this.

9. redtailracing

COMMUNIST!!! :D

K51000 and Fonda Dix like this.
  10. 600 dbl are

It's not overreacting, it's common sense DUI control...

11. 2blueYam

Fine. Write your state legislature and get it passed, but I doubt you will.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I know a guy who traded a bird dog for a shotgun while we were quail hunting. What's the big deal?

(To clarify, he already had a shotgun and another dog. :D )

13. 600 dbl are

:whoosh:

14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

And if you murder anyone when you are involved in an accident while drunk, you are publicly executed.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

:crackup: and global warming is settled science so don't dare dispute it.

However consider this, most dictators confiscate guns upon entering office and before violence against the population starts. Your checks give them a list to work from. My memory might be fuzzy but I seem to recall Hitler tried take all the guns and was largely successful prior to the start of the slaughter in the Warsaw Ghetto. But it will never happen here right?

16. In Your Corner

Those systems, like most of the locks you lock, are meant to keep honest people honest and make it harder for stupid people to steal.
    They don't work on the smart and determined.

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

DUI, distracted driving, etc...pretty much anything, really.

- Did you get home without injuring/damaging or causing injury/damage to person or property? Fair enough/good to go, you crazy-but-self-controlled-bastard.
    - Did you wipe out someone's Petunia garden and run over the gardener or cause someone else to have to avoid an injurious/damaging incident of your making that caused the demise of the garden and/or gardener? You pay for all damages, all fines and no driving for you until the debt is settled.
    - Did this incident kill the gardener? You're done. I don't mean you're done driving, I mean you're done using oxygen.
    - Have the means to rectify the debt but refuse to do so? Traitor. You're done.
    - Don't have the means to clear the incurred debt in your lifetime? Victim's call on whether you'll be an indentured servant the rest of your life, forgiven or turned over to the State for processing.
    - Fines? No reprieve...the State wants its due revenue and you will work it off at a rate of $100/day. All fines are $1000, each.
    - Turned over to the State for processing? Labor at the rate of $100/day or/and forfeiture of any and all assets until the debt is paid. The State assesses all assets at 1/4 value...we're not in the resale business. You will be allowed to use part of that $100/day to pay for food, water and shelter. The State can provide these "necessities" at a reasonable cost. Hope you have generous friends and family.

Anybody wanna play stupid in the Republic of F.R.E.D.? :D

18. 2blueYam

I knew your past was sarcastic. I was just being an ass. [emoji16]

19. In Your Corner

Evidently, you do it very well.

20. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Um no. Everything you wrote here is wrong.