1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Democrats/liberals

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by redtailracing, Nov 17, 2018.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Spang308 likes this.
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

"Well regulated" means that the people (militia) who use the firearm have been trained to a standard that encompasses the handling, maintenance and deployment of firearms. It's so every shooter can be on the same page should they have to get together to remind the government from where the real power comes.
    This definition is, and has always been, in use from the beginning.

And another thing to be clear about, the 2A isn't there as some sort of governmentally given. It's God given...an inalienable, natural right. Read 9A. According to the Constitution, there's not a damn thing in the first eight amendments that anyone can deny an individual by mandate. The first eight exist regardless of any parchment they may be printed upon.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  3. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I argue this point with a liberal leaning friend of mine almost weekly. He gets blinded by the press coverage of mass school shootings and goes on the banning/confiscation rampage. I tell him constantly that's a convenient front for the lefts real reason wanting to disarm Americans. He once even conceded and suggested we just ban high capacity magazines to limit the damage. I just laughed and told him I want to be there when he explains to the families of the 5 that still got killed because some psychotic idiot got access to a gun... period.
    The problem is society...not guns.

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Person to person transactions happen all the time. In Utah it is illegal to sell to someone that is known to not be allowed to own one by law. However, it is illegal to force me to do a background check on my brother if I wanted to sell him or give him one of my firearms. Insane to boot.

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Reality is the gang banger can get the gun now because they don't follow the law the effect is only on law abiding people and creating an inventory of where to go should confiscation become the law. Well regulated is a historical term just as militia was. I am not an expert so will defer to those who are on the exact history.

As to the search then how about random searches to stop drugs from making it to your kid? The one constant is when the government ignores or infringes upon your right then they ALWAYS come for more later.

Thanks on the snowflake LOL as much as we rip on each other I don't think that term applies to anyone here :beer:

6. Spang308

Now that's a pretty stupid law...as most are actually.
    How in the hell is a seller to know if someone is prohibited from owning a gun without a background check of some sort?
    In addition, the whole background check system and what gets reported to it needs revamped. A good portion of the people committing mass shootings recently have purchased their guns legally even though they had run ins that should have been reported and prevented those purchases. Not saying it would have prevented the shootings, because where there's a will there's a way, but may have made it more difficult for them to obtain them and maybe discouraged the idea enough...maybe.

7. sheepofblue

Because if it becomes necessary to replace the government which has become tyrannical or defend the country from an invader we won't be using cars as weapons for the most part. Also very seldom is a car used for self defense.

8. sheepofblue

A bit of interest for you maybe. In GA there is a town that gun ownership is mandatory, if you don't have one it will be provided. Their crime rate plummeted upon passage of the law. Wild Wild...East :beer:

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Kennesaw and it wasn't actually like that - other than the crime rate part at the time.

Ian178 likes this.
  10. sheepofblue

What part? My understanding is that was the law. Now did they go house to house to ensure, no. But from everything I read the rest was accurate.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It was required - unless you didn't want to and they never provided them to people.

Ian178 likes this.
  12. In Your Corner

Here's where we run into the abysmal education system we have.
    You should be aware that the men who wrote the Constitution did a lot of other writing also, including writing about the
    the writing of the Constitution, so it isn't that difficult to discern intentions and the meanings of words as they were used at the time.

13. Spang308

"Required" "Unless you didn't want to"
    What the hell kinda wishy washy shit is that?
    :crackup:

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The kind that makes the news and freaks out the crooks but doesn't force the citizens to do things :D

Boman Forklift and Ian178 like this.
  15. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

The reason I draw the similarity with dui checkpoints is because if it’s simplicity. There is no search unless they see something that gives probably cause. Do some take this too far? Sure. But I’d call that the exception not the rule. At worst it’s a minor inconvenience. Being searched without cause on the other hand is a completely different story and not something I’d suggest or support. I’d say the more similar approach would be if a school with a drug problem stationed drug dogs at the entrance each morning that students had to walk past on their way in. I would support that if it was necessary.

16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Gun ownership is mandatory in Virgin, Utah as well. Unless you are mentally unstable, which is something that needs to be reported so background checks can see it.

17. In Your Corner

You know, shoplifting is a huge problem that costs us all a lot of money.
    They should set up police checkpoints outside the store and detain people for a while just to make sure they didn't steal anything.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

That is a bit of a non-sequitur there.
    DUI checkpoints exist because it is a safety issue.
    Shop lifting just costs the store (and potentially the consumer) a few bucks. If it costs enough the store puts in better security to help thwart it.

19. Spang308

I don't know about your area, but one could argue DUI checkpoints exist as much for "a few bucks" as much as a safety issue in this town.
    I don't in any way endorse people driving while bombed. I also don't endorse baseless harassment of the general population and some dude getting his life ruined over a few beers after work. If the probable cause to pull someone over exists, by all means do so. Checkpoints cross the line in my opinion. If they are to be permitted, stop and frisk should also be implemented. A gangbanger with a gun is more dangerous to the public than pop driving home with 3 beers in him.

20. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

It happens everywhere. Even in states where it’s illegal. Even in countries that have banned guns.