1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California Superbike School or Track Bike

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by fzr600kid, Oct 26, 2016.

1. fzr600kid

fzr600kid Member

I am divided on whether to do California Superbike School or use the money to buy a track bike for local track days this next summer. I already have done one track day on my street bike, however, I don't want to keep doing them on it bc that is all that I have for a cycle and due to insurance costs would not be able to justify another bike (Its paid off and I have stuff on my driving record).

- Also a perk to track riding is that I would not get into legal trouble and lose my license.

- I currently live in the city (Ugghh) due to work and I am tired on riding on the street here, too many close calls with cars. Have to always drive so so defensively.

- I have to ride 1.5 hours to get to anything that is considered twisties and good to ride.

I am looking to improve my skill and ability. I have read Keith's books they helped me a TON.

Opinions?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  2. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

track bike first
    what good is a school, if you cant take the lessons and go apply them on your own later? easier if you have a bike for a season and save up for the school the next season. my .02

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Get on the track - if that means buying the bike then buy the bike.

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Do superbike school, continue to ride track days on street bike and don't crash.

5. fzr600kid

fzr600kid Member

My insurance quoted me $200 month for Full Coverage on a new left over 2014 GSX-R750. More than 3x my current rate on my '08 600rr. At this rate the insurance would cost 2x the bike payment.

6. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

Don't take anything on a race track that you can't afford to throw in the dumpster if you destroy it.

Even if you do get full coverage, I'd be quite surprised if they paid you after wrecking the bike at a track day.

WANABE RACER likes this.
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Ditch the 600 for something more appropriate to your urban commuting like a big motard/enduro...and a track bike.
    Or, get a big motard/enduro and turn your 600 into a track bike.

8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Sounds like you could pretty easily just turn your street bike into a track bike and call it a day.

By your own admission, you don't enjoy riding on the street where you live.

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ive never heard of anyone insuring a track-only bike.

i wouldnt ride anything on the track that i dont own outright. i also dont insure my trackbikes. they are toys and they will get damaged. theres no point in insurance when its getting used hard and it will be crashed.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

why do you need "full" coverage? You cant get "Comp" only? Maybe with a higher deductible? Does that policy have any medical attached?

In FL we get $10,000 basic medical (PIP) when an incident occurs with a motor vehicle.
    At the very least a "supplemental" medical/disability policy for action sports will cost at least $100/month.

11. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I've never had full coverage on a bike in my life (going back to 1970). All that money saved can go a long ways in repairs if needed. All the more reason to buy cheap and/or salvage bikes (like my last 3 sport bikes and sumo) cheap with cash. Never insured a race bike.

12. There are other costs you're not seeing. A track only bike requires a truck or a csr/trailer to get you to and from the track. No mention on if you have either. I've seen people rent uhaul trailers and pull them with a prius too.

Superbike school is good, but I don't recommend it until you've had some decent track experience. You won't fully benefit from the instruction if you're busy worrying about other bikes on track or generally leaning track riding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

13. Last930

Last930 Active Member

I think the best route is to get a track bike then attend the Cal Superbike School - hit the school early in your track day career before you pick up a bunch of bad habits that then have to be unlearned.
    The Cali SBS folks are great at teaching proper techniques from the start.

14. MotoGP1199

MotoGP1199 Well-Known Member

Plus if you have you own track bike you could attend the school for $390 a day.

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Get the track bike and look for track days with some instruction.