1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California Gov Jerry Brown is Mr. Veto

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by gothicbeast, Jun 16, 2011.

1. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

Got to hand it to Jerry Brown, Vetoed a budget that was on time from his own party because it had to many "Gimmicks" in it to balance the state budget.

LA Times : Jerry Brown vetoes Democratic budget plan

Governor Moonbeam is sticking by is guns on cutting the government and raising taxes. This is the Governor Brown of the 70's, a democrat who is fiscally conservative, socially liberal and holds his ground.

2. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

It's to bad he can't fire the mayor of L.A...:mad:

3. earacing

earacing Race Dad

Wow, that's different. I don't care much for his ideology, but that statement does show some good leadership. He's already making his cheating, child-abandoning, murderer-pardoning, phony republican predecessor look like a girly-man.

*Edit* - Good luck with raising taxes, though.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  4. wsmcrobert

wsmcrobert Well-Known Member

Merge this with what you said in the other thread about politicians not listening to their constituents. Californians have already voted down his proposed tax increases last November. We don't want them but he keeps pushing for them. He has even resorted to threats to withhold money to state Republican lawmaker's districts if they will not agree to tax increases. How's that for listening? (why don't you speak tax increases?)

This veto was arranged behind closed doors ahead of time anyway. The Democrats had to get a sham budget passed in order to not have their salaries withheld.

Brown is the original architect of California's fail. He is the governor that allowed public employees to unionize. And the Democrats have never stopped caving in to the unions. Brown is no fiscal conservative.

5. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Of course you don't "want" tax increases but how do you propose that your bankrupted State pay for all of the social programs it sponors/mandates ditto for the CRAZY pension commitments for public employees?

6. wsmcrobert

Considering that we have a structural deficit, we need structural changes. The current obligations can't be paid for.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Maybe if they said it in spanish....

8. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

How about we stop giving our money to all the other states....Or better yet...how about all the tea party states, and the ones brimming with fiscal conservatives stop Taking it.

9. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

During the California election in 2010, Jerry Brown and Meg Whitman presented two different solutions for the budget crisis in California. Whitman called for big cuts in capital gains taxes and cuts in government [Link: MEG 2010 - Building a New California]. Brown called for fiscal discipline, a governor who would put forth a tax plan in January and refusing to pass a state budget filled with “gimmicks” that have been used in the past [Link : Jerry Brown – Budget Plan]

The public in California spoke and Jerry Brown was elected into office. Take a good look at the Budget Plan and see that as a general rule Jerry Brown is following what he said he would do. He has brought out a budget plan, tried to get that plan to be accepted by Democrats and Republicans and fulfilled his promise to veto a budget filled with gimmicks.

Back at the beginning of the year, Brown brought forth to let tax payers decide to extend and/or increase some taxes to reduce the cuts in the California state budget. Brown has been very open about this from day one. Because the taxes will not be allowed to be voted on, Brown is now fulfilling his other promise to veto budgets that are not truly balanced.

Brown is traveling California, via southwest airlines in coach, having meeting with the public and the legislators to discuss the California budget. This is exactly the listing to constituents that I talk about. You don’t read in the media how Brown is belittling people or bemoaning the public when they talk to him. Is Brown doing a perfect job, no. If he was doing a perfect job there would have been no reason to veto the current California budget.

Could you please cite this information?
    I searched Google far and wide and cannot find any actual substantiated information on closed door meetings to create a sham budget to be purposely vetoed.

California history would argue that you are a bit off in this issue. During Browns first term as govern between 1975 to 1978 he amassed over a 5 Billion dollar surplus. Brown was called a fiscal conservative at the time and even The American Conservative, called Brown more fiscally conservative than Ronald Regan when he was governor.

Browns downfall in his first term was his fiscal austerity that created that 5 Billion dollar surplus. His reluctance to dip into this surplus and/or cut taxes drove the 1977 Proposition 13 movement. Browns reaction to the passing of Prop 13, was to cut spending and spend the rainy day fund. His fiscal austerity was so well respected by the author Prop 13, Howard Jarvis, he created a television add to help Brown to be re-elected in 1978.

If you are looking for the turning point that started California’s fall, you should start looking at Proposition 13. This landmark bill created a property tax structure that is uneven and disproportionate to people living on the same street. Prop 13 helped create the California budget gridlock and strip away cities and counties tax revenue. Prop 13 left in place a system where cities and counties are beholden to the state legislators for their revenue.

As far as creating unions, the 1978 Dills Act, created the “STATE EMPLOYER-EMPLOYEE RELATIONS”. This act was created to have an uniform state to union negotiations. Before this act, California had state employee unions, but each one had a different bargaining agreement. The Dills Act standardized how the state of California and employees interacted with regards to employment.

There is no question that Brown is a supporter of unionized labor. With that said, unions can be good at time and bad a times. Currently the focus is to take away workers collective bargaining rights, because it’s deemed that collective bargaining is unfair and bad. Unions did not just materialize out of thin air, there was a reason unions formed in the first place.

IF you like, I will be happy to push this though Google translate and post in Spanish if that makes it more comfortable for everyone.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

By all means, feel free. I will ignore it, but it is your 1st ammendment right.

11. H8R

Awesome post Jason.

I still wish there is a way we could stop giving our money to the whiny ass Repub states that like to point and laugh at our budget shortfalls while taking our money via the Federal gubment.

Los Angeles has more people than 42 of our other States. Many of the other States are the ones I hear yelling loudly about all sort of RWN ideologies. I hear many of those States talking about Communism...They love to call Dem's commies. Well, we have more people, and more money, they get our money...to me it sounds likes communism, and I would expect them to stop taking it...much like they want to keep the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy.

Hypocrites.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

GA ain't taking your money.

13. wsmcrobert

In the campaign Brown said that he would not raise taxes without voter approval. Well, Brown's own revised budget relies on 9.3 billion in tax hikes that have not been approved by the voters. His budget is a sham too. He is not doing what he said he would do during the campaign. So yea, I agree with you that Brown said whatever it took to get elected.

There is nothing wrong with proposition 13. Lots of governors were able to keep the books balanced under prop 13. The real turning point was under Grey Davis. That's when the deficits started to become structural because when the tax windfall came, he spent all the money on lavish and unsustainable benefits to public employees.

Now Brown is using threats and thug tactics to try to get taxes raised. That's just the way that he is and that's OK. I just wish there were some thugs on the right too.

Now comb through this if you still think that Brown is a fiscal conservative.

http://killcarb.org/voters_guide_to_jerry_brown.pdf

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  14. wsmcrobert

California is so reliably Democrat that Republicans won't do anything for us and Democrats don't need to.

15. H8R

Hey...all the other States. Come on live up to your Conservative Repub values that we hear so much about. Pull yourself up by your boot straps....stop taking our money.

16. wsmcrobert

They might be. The only figures I've seen on federal spending include SS and medicare and military spending. It could be that retiring people are leaving the state. We for sure don't get the pork projects like other states. Also we have had a disproportionate number of military base closures. Thank Boxer and Feinstein.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Live up to your liberal values and give, give, give. You aren't giving enough.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Besides, you just moved back from a bloodsucking state. You haven't been back long enough to declare donor status.

19. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

CA also had a disproportonate number of bases that "should" have been closed many years ago but were not and it just caught up with the them.

Absolutely you are losing retirees who money comes from California (or the Feds) but gets spent and taxed elsewhere. Why should they stay when they can move to States with 50% or less of the tax burden and have the added benefit of actually ordering a snack at a drive-thru in English?

20. H8R

:crackup:

I prefer to give my money to single Mom's. :D