1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California Gov Jerry Brown flys southwest

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by gothicbeast, Feb 11, 2011.

1. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

Looks like governor moonbeam is back up to his old tricks.... Cutting wasteful spending and showing that a politician does not need fancy outdoor smoking lounges and 1st class travel.

Jerry Brown is flying southwest, the bus service of the west!!!
    Jerry Brown mingles with the public at 35,000 feet

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Maybe some of your other elected officials will take notes.

3. Czolgosz

Czolgosz Banned

If it's not a dog and pony then good on him.

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

This is good to see.

Kwame Kilpatrick the old Detroit mayor who was something like 6'6 always seemed to need 4-6 guys to travel with him. Guy was huge to begin with.

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Yeah, but, it's Detroit. I'd want a security entourage of 4-6 guys.

6. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

Saw it on the news last night and they were making such a HUGE deal about how he traveled without any security or aides by his side.

In light of Governor what's-her-name getting shot last month in AZ (with no security detail), maybe someone shoulda considered not making such a big deal about it on the news, ya think?

Brown did say that he has complete faith in our air marshals protecting everyone on flights, so I suppose he wasn't completely unprotected.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I wonder if he has a detail of security and staff that meet him on the ground.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If his travels are like some states, Highway Patrol provides security away from the Capital. They don't really need to travel with him as long as there are officers at each end of the trip. If someone gets a weapon or IED on board the plane, the marshalls will just go down with him.

9. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

Oh yeah? Well what about the old lady sitting next to him armed with a sharp No. 2 pencil. How 'bout that, smart guy!!!??? :Poke:

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It's the pen that is mightier than the sword, not the pencil.:moon:

11. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I would say lead poisoning....but that old lady better have a pencil from her childhood in her purse. :eek:

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Have pencils EVER really had lead in them?

Edit: NO

Some time before 1565 (some sources say as early as 1500), an enormous deposit of graphite was discovered on the approach to Grey Knotts from the hamlet of Seathwaite in Borrowdale parish, Cumbria, England.[1][2][3] The locals found that it was very useful for marking sheep. This particular deposit of graphite was extremely pure and solid, and it could easily be sawn into sticks. This remains the only large scale deposit of graphite ever found in this solid form.[4] Chemistry was in its infancy and the substance was thought to be a form of lead. Consequently, it was called plumbago (Latin for "lead ore").[5][6] The black core of pencils is still referred to as lead, even though it never contained the element lead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pencil

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Arizona's Governor was shot?

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The "lead" is graphite. The paint used to have some lead in it, but you would have had to ingest a lot of pencil paint to make it a hazard.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Forget it. He's rolling.

16. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

:crackup:

Oops. :D

17. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Correct. There used to be a separate agency, the California State Police, but they merged with CHP in 1995.

18. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

I have a nasty story about me and a pencil.

Wanna hear it? Who cares, you're gonna hear it anyway.

Was once replacing the screen on a patio screen door and doing the work flat on some Mexican paver tiles.

I had a pencil laying on the ground next to me as I was cutting and fitting the new screen material.

At one point my knee hit the point of the pencil, diriving the eraser end into the edge of one of the paver tiles - giving the pencil nowhere to go.

The pencil poked through my jeans and right into the tendon just under my kneecap - snapping the pencil in half in the process.

I stood up with the pencil buried deep in my leg. I tugged on it and pulled it out.

Note: If you're gonna have a pencil stab you in the leg, that big tendon under your kneecap is not the place to do it.

Walked around for days in extreme pain while worrying about lead poisoning. This was before the internet and I thought lead was a concern.

Anyway, eventually went to a doctor and they didn't do squat. Took weeks before it stopped hurting. Still have the scar to this day and it's a lovely gray graphite color. :up:

19. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Cool story Bro. :D

20. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

Yes. Yes it is. Glad you liked it. :D