1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C8 Corvette Reveal

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Jul 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 418

418 Expert #59

I think they'll sell shit to regardless.

I expect this thing to be unavailable at MSRP for a year or two.

If you squint a little the thing looks like a McLaren C12.

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Agreed...the only model offerring that ever seemed to catch my eye was the Grand Sport editions.

3. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

While I'd love to drive a Porsche or Ferrari 458, I do like this C8. I would still take a C7. Large parts availability and dealer network help. Could own 2 for the $ and always have one to drive.
    The level of paranoia in maintenance and upkeep is a bit lower too - some peace of mind has value too. Is it perfect? Likely not, but they damn sure have come out with a nice piece, especially at the price point.

ducnut likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I liked them better than 4 and 5 but overall still not something I'd buy. 3 yes, 7 and now 8 yes.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The modding scene on these things will be absolutely bonkers. The more I see of it the more I love it.

XFBO likes this.
  6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That was my thinking also, there will be 800hp c8s a couple of months after release :crackup:

7. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Totally awesome but I still always love the front engine as well and would prefer it. I’ve always loved that long hood vette look. Now I just may end up able to get my hands on one sooner than I thought with this baby coming out they will be for sale everywhere. Must be a manual for me.

8. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

9. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Ok. I'm coming around to idea that the rear end looks like a Camaro. Not complaining, love me some zl1.

10. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

My concern would be that GM has slowly transitioned their vehicles to ECU's that can't be re-programmed. None of the trucks can be currently cheaply. The L5P requires a whole new ECU to do it and it's a ton of $$$. I know the 6.2 and 5.3 in the new half tons is locked down similarly as well. GM actually publicly commented that it was something they are now doing going forward in anticipation of self driving cars in the near future.

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's something they are doing because the EPA is forcing them to do so. Autonomy is just the excuse and useful scapegoat. They also have spent a great deal of time and resources forcing you back to the dealership service bay.

ducnut likes this.
  12. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Nothing new, really. Every new generation of ecu becomes more and more locked down. That goes for all manufacturers. As for the new Vette' I'd rock it, for sure! Still doesn't mean I still don't want a red 69 Stingray vert :D

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And new generations of ee's and hackers are working to make it easier to play :D

ducnut likes this.
  14. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

The car looks awesome and is going to put most anything 3 times its price to shame.

I like the feature that will remember where you raised to nose to clear something and then automatically do it based on GPS.

ducnut likes this.
  15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

One of the guys said specifically in the presentation that it would be tunable.

TurboBlew, shakazulu12 and ducnut like this.
  16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah. They don’t lock them down to keep them from being tuned, they do it to keep them from being hijacked.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

Sent from my smatrfone

MikeR, scottn and Gorilla George like this.
  18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Figure of speech. Like saying it's a secretary car.