1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C5 Corvette or Mustang GT?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott S., Jun 12, 2019.

1. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

What is easier to live with? Choosing a C5 or 2005-06 Mustang GT because they are both in my cash price range. No car payments for me. I like the Corvette for its drivideline layout and the Mustang.. cause Mustang I guess. Is the 5.0 really a big deal over the 4.6 V8? It will be a commuter and weekend fun car, some road trips. I am my own mechanic and can do anything so not much of a factor.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Between those two, C5 all day. I wouldn't have a Mustang between 1994 and 2015.

Shocker likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

I would not buy either, but if road trips and commuter, i would go with the bigger trunk. If just fun/track Corvette

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No. The vette has a surprising amount of storage and is much more comfortable to drive. The only reason to go with the mustang is if you have to have a back seat, and if so, there are much better choices.

ducnut, BigBird and rafa like this.
  5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yes.

6. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

C5 All day.
    Until recent years Mustangs were terrible.
    The vette interior isnt great (still better than the Stang) but the outside is gorgeous IMO. If you can swing for a Z06 it is worth it.

7. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

The interior of the C5 Vette is terrible, but a 4.6 GT Mustang is such a turd compared to a the Coyote 5.0. Resale of all 4.6 GT's tanked when the 5.0 came out. It's a far superior motor.

ducnut likes this.
  8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Depends.

Are you 60+ years old with grey hair?

Are you under 60+ years old and enjoy careening over crowds of people standing just off the street?

If you are the first then buy a Corvette. If you are the second then clearly a Mustang is the only choice.

KrooklynSV and I'm with Stupid like this.
  9. BigBird

BigBird blah

Get a GTI or a Minivan.

Razr and ducnut like this.
  10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Shit, some of the modern minivans have more HP than an old mustang!

ducnut and BigBird like this.
  11. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I wouldn't dream of using my corvette as a daily driver. Buy the mustang.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why not?

Ian178 likes this.
  13. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Only reason I see not to daily the vetter over a mustang is the nose height, but depending where you live it isnt a big deal.

14. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Not only is the 4.6L Mustang a turd of an engine, buck there are few designs that look as dated today as that era. Plus they handle like a worn-out Walmart shopping cart.

If I had my way the Vette would be an easy choice.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  15. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

4.6's are the worst thing Ford has put out since the early 80's. So weak.
    C5's are the shiz nittle bam snip snap snap, in comparison. C5 all day long.

16. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

I daily drove a procharged C5 and never had any complaints. Just make sure you get one with a good clutch if you get a manual. Comfortable seats and nice ride (at least on FL roads).

17. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Between those two, yea, C5 and it's not close.

I would expand the Mustang date ranges to include the 2011+ Coyote engines. Yes, it had a solid rear axle, but it really wasn't that big of a deal day to day. I had a 2012 GT with the Brembo package. I actually kind of miss it, despite presently owning a GT350. The Shelby is better in almost every way, but the GT was a great, usable street/touring car that I wasn't afraid to park in public. Admittedly, I prefer simple interiors, which the Mustangs have in abundance. I've owned 3 European sedans/wagons. Those all had interiors far superior to what you'd find in a Mustang (even the Shelby), but filled me with dread for what fancy widget was going to break next (even odds if you had window regulator). If you're doing the math, that's 2 mustangs that I have owned post 2011. I would not consider one pre-2011 with the 4.6.

bored&stroked and ducnut like this.
  18. If your septic tank pumping business has finally paid off, get the Corvette.

19. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

23755237_2081746941839362_2070736592336398328_n.jpg

I'm with Stupid likes this.