1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C-5 Crashes In Dover Delaware Today

Discussion in 'General' started by 0hi0, Apr 3, 2006.

1. 0hi0

0hi0 Husband Killing Tool

Reports state the pilot had an engine flameout on take-off. Pilot tried to turn around and crashed short of the runway. All 17 people on board survived even though the plane split into three pieces.

Even though the media is calling it a "miracle" I contribute the planes well engineered design for the survival of the passengers. The planes fuel N2 inerting system probably prevented a explosion. Plus the passengers sit in the aft upper compartment in seats that are position to the rear which greatly minimizes crash casulities.

IMO, the civilian aviation industry should be taking notes. I wouldn't want to image if that plane was a 747...

2. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

N2 interts don't help much when the tank ruptures, so if they did break a tank and had no fire they were really lucky. I think it's a bit unfair to compare a cargo transport to a 747, for obvious reasons the cabin needs to be designed differently. Rear facing seats make many passengers nervous, which is a big consideration for commercial aviation also.

Anyway, any aircraft crash you can walk away from is a bit of a miracle. Good for them.

3. rcrgirl84

rcrgirl84 Danger Kitty!!

We're still waiting to find out if one of our friends was the pilot on the plane or not. He's a C5 pilot based out of Dover. From what I've heard this C5 might have had a crew based out of Illinois, but nothing's been confirmed as yet.

4. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Try to imagine it was a C5 and you live in Dover. They fly over our house when they need an alternate approach. :wow:

We actually have several local clients who crew and fly the C5s, so we're still waiting to hear which crew it was.

- Roach

5. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

I'm presuming that the plane was relatively empty? It it was loaded with 250,000 lbs...I doubt it would have landed so 'softly'. I know those planes have Huuuuuuuuge wings that generate a ton of lift. So a lightly loaded plane should be able to come in quite a bit slower. Of course i could be wrong. I'm sure we'll hear a ot more about it/

6. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster Radical Freedom Fighter

Correct me if im wrong, but I think most commercial airplanes can safely fly after loosing an engine. Now I realize the C-5 is much heavier than your typical airplane and the amount of thrust required to get it airbourne is tremendous, I'm just suprised it couldn't make it back to the airstrip safely. Still a helluva job putting it down though

7. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

According to what I've seen on the news websites, the crew was one from the Reserves.

Yes, commercial airplanes are REQUIRED to be able to climb with one engine out.

Inerting doesn't mean jack once you breach the tank boundary, it is for preventing in-flight incidents inside the fuel tank as there are usually several electrical or rotating components in the fuel tanks.

8. rcrgirl84

rcrgirl84 Danger Kitty!!

Cool, names just released, our friends were not on that flight. All involved are okay as well. Always good news.

Roach, if you're still trying to find out about your people, check out www.delawareonline.com, should still be under the breaking news section.

9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

10. 999

999 Well-Known Member

Wow. As a Delaware native this story is pretty vivid for me.
    How many times have I had a plane fly right over me while driving by the airbase? :confused:

My grandmother lived in Magnolia (Roach knows where that is) and it always seemed like the planes flew in circles over her house 24/7!
    Me? I am from Claymont, home of the ghastly teacher chick. :rock:

11. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

12. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

The irony in this is that if you have a Lockheed Martin's 2006 wall calender, the C-5 'Galaxy' is this months 'pin-up'.

13. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster Radical Freedom Fighter

You gotta be kidding!

14. danch

danch Well-Known Member

Hate to contribute to this kind of a thread-jacking, but

EWWW! :Puke: