1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying new laptop-couple questions

Discussion in 'General' started by Spooner, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Ok so looking to replace my 5ish year old windows laptop. Was wanting to go with a MBP since we have apple everything else but holy crap they are expensive. So this is what I'm planning on picking up:

I wanted a 15" with a 10 key keypad, at least a 256 SSD, lots of ram, super fast, blah blah blah. Also I was hoping to spend less than a grand. I can't believe how hard it is to find a 15" with a SSD.

Anything wrong with a Toshiba? Any other ones I should look at? Seems like slim pickings for what I want.

I also need Excel and didn't know how it worked with windows 10 coming out. I think there is a new version of Office coming out with 10 so I didn't know if I would be stuck with 2013 if thats what I bought or if I did the 365 deal would that just upgrade me automatically.

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I have and Asus that is pretty nice. Nothing wrong with Toshiba imo. It it has the specs you are looking for, then go for it.

3. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Why would you need the pro? Are you planning on doing some intense shit?

I know music producers who do just fine with MacBook Air. Look into that one

Don't be a bitch

:D

4. Spooner

I don't need the portability aspect of an air and I'd rather have the extra horsepower. I do lots of pdf's and excel macros and stuff. The lack of 10 key on the macs kinda kills it for me which sucks.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

6. wrparrish

wrparrish Well-Known Member

:crackup:

7. Spooner

Well it takes 45 second to a minute to process most of the macros which is annoying when you're doing 30 of them.

8. Venom51

I was letting that one go.

9. Spooner

Thanks but I prefer buying from actual stores so if I have issues I don't have to deal with shipping it back and forth and all that. Plus I can see the real thing before I buy.

10. Venom51

I fuckin hate people.

I like oranges. Where can I buy an orange?

You can buy it here from this distributor.

Well I only like oranges sold from the side of the road by a farmer and his wife so I can see them before I buy.

I'm out. Good luck with your very limited selection in a brick and mortar store.

11. Spooner

Wow, you're kind of a dick.

I mainly was wondering about the excel question and windows 10 as I'm not finding that info.

But thanks for your friendly help.

12. Venom51

Absolutely I'm a dick. Nothing new there.

If you bought Office 2013 than you are stuck with it until you pay for the upgrade. If you are an Office 365 subscriber you are always eligible for the new version when it rolls out.

13. Spooner

Thank you, see that wasn't so hard was it?

14. Venom51

It's harder than you realize most days.

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

:stupid::stupid: x1000 :crackup:

16. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

TOshiba, Asus, Dell/Alienware, Lenovo all good reliable laptops. Hell you can buy replacement parts for Dell and they have the service manuals online on Dell's site. I have a 2008 Dell Studio 17 that's still going strong. Just replaced the lid hinges myself (common issue with studio 17's) this spring.

Now HP/Compaq, I say avoid like the plague.

17. amaner

amaner will do math for food

I realize it's not a 15", but I just bought my wife a factory refurb 13" MBP retina w/ 256g pcie ssd and 8 gb of ram for less than a grand. Worth considering...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  18. Spooner

Yeah I was really leaning towards the 13" Mbp but I use it at home 95% of the time and the extra size is nice to have.

19. Venom51

You could have the best of both situations with little effort. A couple display port monitors and 1 USB 3.0 to Display port adaptor and problem solved. I run a 13" Asus Xenbook when on the run but when in the office it powers 2x27 inch displays and a wireless mouse and keyboard.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm a big and probably the only fan in the entire world of Acer. Bang for the buck is tough to beat. Warning though, they have probably the WORST call in customer services this side of a mortgage company. I used to buy gateways, beat them up and when they puked, throw them in the pile. I switched to Acer and beat them but haven't killed one yet.

Acer travelmates rule the earth!

Toshiba is pretty okay and the two I've had could probably fire up 10 years on.
    I also have an ASUS and it's okay. Nothing special. I doubt I'd buy another one. Meh.