1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying New Car Tires, Online or Local?

Discussion in 'General' started by Chris13, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Chris13

Chris13 Which lever is the Brake?

BBS,
    It will soon be time for some new rubber on my grocery getter. Toyota 07 RAV4. In the past I have bought from local shops but seen some good prices online. Anybody have good/bad experiences from buying tires online then having a local shop put them on? Any good advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    -Chris

2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

F' the online stores.

Support local, name brand stuff.

If everybody did this the closest tire shop would be 200 miles away

OR

mounting and dismounting would be $75

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I use both. Local shop didn't have what I needed last time and didn't want to bother getting them in, so I went with Tire Rack.

4. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

Tire rack and walmart to install. $40 to mount and balance will be cheaper than sales tax.

5. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

If the locals want your business, they will match the online price.

6. GSX-R 3/4K

GSX-R 3/4K Well-Known Member

I get mine in Costco;insurance,rotating,mounting and balance included,last time I got a piece of metal in my tire; cost me peanuts to replace with a new one...

7. 418

418 Expert #59

:stupid:

8. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I go to AC's Tire Service out on 17. He has great prices. Local good ol' boy but he's a good guy and if he doesn't have what I need he can get it within the next couple of days.

9. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

:stupid: +2

:stupid:!!!

10. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

You mean like buying a new American small SUV instead of a Toyota? ;)

11. chrison600

chrison600 Well-Known Member

Discount Tire FTW. I've had the best service there and the prices are good too. Free lifetime rotate and balance.

12. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Care to take a look at which car is more American? Not to mention which one doesnt suck?

13. random hero

random hero Banned

14. random hero

random hero Banned

double true...... Educate yourself's on "American" vehicles, last time I checked cars being built in Mexico & Canada wouldn't pass as American :up:

15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

might be me, but I think buying cars from campanies based in Japan isn't very smart, regardless of where they're built

Of course I'm a bit biased as I live near detroit, and everybody around here, even if you work in a doctor's office, is STILL affected by the auto industry.

The only reason toyota and honda build so many cars here is so they don't have to send a ocean ship full of them every 2 weeks.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  16. benprobst

Why is that? Because they build better cars at similar prices while building more of there cars in the states than any other 'Merican company?

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&subject=ami&story=amMade0709

Thats 50% from two companies.

Detroit and the 'merican car companies let themselves slip into mis-managment and pathetic complacency. They deserve everything they get. Wiping Detroit and its unions off the map is about the best thing they could ever hope for.

I own an F150 and its been an amazing truck. I also own an older Toyota Camry, a newer camry, and a Prius. I couldnt ask for better cars, and in comparison to family and friends newer cars, have put them to shame on cost to mantain and fuel milage.

17. Chris13

Great responses. Looks like I will print off the tire I want and see if my local guy can match it. If not order offline and have the local guy install it.

And please do not turn this into thread about the ethics of buying foreign vs domestic and local vs online purchasing. That is what the dungeon is for.

Thanks.

-Chris

18. benprobst

Sorry. :D

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Damn Commies! You wouldn't see me driving a Japanese car! U S A! U S A! N A S C A R! P I E! U S A!

20. Chris13

Is Toyota in NASCAR?