1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a truck in 2015

Discussion in 'General' started by ACDNate, Feb 24, 2015.

1. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I decided to quit ho-humming around looking at the ecodiesels and waiting on the Titan XD and go ahead a buy a new truck. 2014 F-150's have a ton of rebates right now as well so it seems like as good a time as any.

Instead of roaming about to the various local dealerships I've been shopping via email. Started last Friday with 12 different dealers in the SE. Since then the OTD price on the truck I want has gone from $39,500(pre tax and trade-in) down to the best current offer of $32,840(also pre tax/trade-in).

I'm still working on 3 dealers at the same offer for identically equipped trucks.

I haven't had to talk to one idiot salesman or sales manager. No time spent sitting in an office while the salesman goes back and forth.

If you haven't bought a vehicle this way before you are missing out. Way better than the old school method.

2. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Have you checked prices on truecar.com?

3. ACDNate

Yeah I did run that as well. I'm around $1800 under the true car pricing.

**** Correction, ran Truecar again and got $36,535, so $3,695 below the Truecar estimate

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  4. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Which motor are your looking at.... 3.5 Ecoboost or the 5.0?

5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Interested.

I'm also in the SE and will be in the market for a 2015 F150 soon. MSRP on the truck I've currently optioned out is around $45K. Most dealers around here are advertising about $4-5K in discounts, so I know there's likely much more room to negotiate.

6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Just remember to tell the dealership you decide on that you want the paperwork ready to go, you don't want any of the extras the finance pimp will try to force on you, and want to be done and out of there in 15 minutes.

7. ACDNate

3.5l Ecoboost, the 5.0l can be had for a couple thousand less identically equipped.

I looked a bit at the 15's and it seems there are next to no discounts on them. I'm told by an acquaintance that Ford has slowed production/delivery of 2015 models to aid in clearing out 2014 stock.

That's the plan. One of the deals is a buddy in Memphis. If I go with him, all paperwork will be done and he'll meet me halfway with the new truck and we'll swap vehicles and sign papers over lunch.

8. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

How did you initiate the email contact? Did you just go through each dealers website or through the manufacturers website or something like Edmunds or TrueCar.

Are you also negotiating for a truck each has on the lot or would that price be good for special order?

I ask because I'm sniffing around a Jeep GC SRT. There are a couple on lots around me but nothing with exactly what I want. I'm thinking I might have to special order. I can get the supplier discount for Jeep, but it's not available for the GC SRT, so that's out and sort of indicates there might not be hidden rebates or that they are having any problems selling them.

I found the local inventory when I built one up on the Jeep site. They then search and find matches locally. I can request a quote from there, but wasn't sure how to negotiate at that point. Did you just tell one I got an offer from another and so on, until one gives up?

Thanks

9. ACDNate

Started with buddy in Memphis (who I fleetingly spoke with over mardis gras in person).

Then I started picking Ford dealers in the area and looked at their in stock vehicles. Most dealer pages have an inquiry or "online price" request form on the page. I skipped the phone number and only entered email so my phone isn't blowing up all day.

Not sure it would be effective with a special order vehicle as they don't have any incentive (ie flooring costs) to move the vehicle.

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I thought I also saw a commercial for a 2.7L turbo.

11. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I think it is the 2.7 now, not a 3.5. Can't remember if the 2.7 was the 15 model or 14

12. ACDNate

The 2.7 is a 2015 engine. The added it to the existing line up. I think I read somewhere it was only $500 more than the base naturally aspirated v6. Still have the 3.5l and 5.0l as options.

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

How can a gasser F150 possibly cost this much??? My 2013 diesel F350 king cab dually with erthang (except nav) only cost 53k....:wow:

14. ACDNate

I've seen a few on lots with lift kits etc that were stickered at $60k +

15. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Those ecoboost motors throw out some sick pressure levels, like 30lbs or something.......stock.

16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yea, they are pricey. Springing for the crew cab (which I absolutely NEED now that the kids are quickly outgrowing the back of my super-cab) is what stings the MSRP the most. That and the King Ranch/Platinum trims that come with lots of bells/whistles that don't really matter other than to brag about in magazine reviews.

Overall though, the MSRP on these trucks hasn't really grown that much when you factor in the standard tech they are now including as stock and the fact that so much sheet-metal is now aluminum.

When I bought my 2005 new (XLT super-cab) it stickered for $30K. Same truck 10 years later is about $35-37K.

17. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

New, was a 3.7 in 2014..... 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 - 282HP @ 6250 rpm / Torque 253 @ 4250 rpm - 18/25MPG

New for 2015..... 2.7L EcoBoost V6 - 325HP @ 5750 rpm / Torque 375 @ 3000 rpm - 19/26MPG +$795

5.0L Ti-VCT V8 - 385HP @ 5750 rpm / Torque 387 @ 3850 rpm -15/22MPG +$1,595

3.5L EcoBoost V6 - 365HP @ 5000 rpm / Torque 420 @ 2500 rpm - 17/24MPG +$2,300

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  18. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Honestly when it comes to trucks.. just lease them. So much cheaper over the life of the vehicle. A 40k truck costs you $166 a month over 20 years... not including ANY maintenance, parts, repairs ect. I leased a Ram 1500 crew cab w/ the 5.7 for 208 per month. Its hard to argue with that.

19. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Because people love paying more money for a truck that can haul less.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Or because people want a truck that will fit in their garage. Or one they don't have to park at the back of the parking lot. Or one that doesn't cost $150 to fill up.