1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a street bike out of state-used private seller??

Discussion in 'General' started by Brad, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Wasn't that bad. Bike had a nice soft topcase setup. I didn't go more than 70. Two day trip if I recall.

2. :stupid:

3. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

I flew to TX from Oregon and bought a bike. My main thing was to check out the seller, who turned out to be an engineer like me. No issues, he even picked me up at the airport. He offered to take the bike to the triumph dealer for a check out if I paid but at that point I knew who he was. He left the plates on but wanted me to show him proof of insurance which I did.

4. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

They should issue a paper “non-resident” 30 day temporary registration for the bike.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

If someone is flying into to buy... I would accomodate them. I would also have a bill of sale that details the transaction. And after 24 or 48 hrs report the tag stolen if I dont hear from the person. Tags... BFD. Criminal types could steal your tag and do more damage than a buyer of your used bike. So long as they have insurance and you have a signed BOS... nobody can touch you, in the legal sense.
    Try having some low asset bank try to save $75 by not changing the title out of my name (and forging a Power of Attorney) and the buyer ends up riding my old bike into a group of motorcyclists stopped at a traffic light. To compound the injuries... the riders hire an attorney who sees that my name is still the "registered title holder" then does a quick asset search and writes a demand letter wanting a 1/2 mil. The busted ass bank would not even release the actual title to the insurance company until they were paid...lol. The insurance adjuster told me I could go down and claim what was left of the bike... and the lawsuits that were to follow. The takeaway... put your assets in LLCs...lol
    The traffic incident was 155 pages thick due to the rider passing.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

FL is one. I think NJ is similar.

7. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Yup, FL requires the vehicle to be visually inspected/VIN verified by DMV employee before doing an out of state title transfer

8. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Virginia DMV sells trip permits for $5 or $10 that are good for a few days as long as you have insurance etc. I’ve used them many times, not sure why other states don't do it as well.

9. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Great info ya'll...keep it comin' if ya want to!

Still in the pipe dream stage until tomorrow (unless my buyer stiffs me but don't think he will and he's friends with a way back wera racer). If it comes through I'll proceed with the seller and make more plans and cover loose ends.

Funny how my plan to buy cheaper, older, and closer changed after a little more looking and thinking!:clap::beer::bow:

10. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

My wife did a bit of digging on TX DMV and it seems that the seller should keep their plate and file some form indicating that ownership has been transferred. Nothing to in depth that could squash taking possession and going home.

As far a retitling and tagging in GA, they will want the current title, insurance, and whatever hundreds of dollars for the title tax! GA is a tax money fiend! A friend just bought a Duc SS with a Colorado title, from Alabama, and they didn't even ask for a bos, just that he had a title of some sort.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  11. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Have done it about 20 times. No issues. Like I said It was only for the ride home. Legal or not.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  12. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Nobody asked the important question.... What are you buying? :D

ToofPic and Brad like this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because they don't see a need to get into your pocket like that? GA you can still do the homemade cardboard for private sales :D

14. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Well, it ain't another Bandit this time!:crackup:

Just talked to the seller, seems like a great dude with a lot of 2 wheel similarity. Gonna get this ball rolling and try to make it happen!

SmokeSignalRT likes this.
  15. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

That might not work well out of state, at least with a piece of paper printed from the DMV website i might avoid getting my car impounded etc. Thats $5 I'll gladly pay.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Up to you. I've ridden/driven vehicles with a GA version of a drive out tag with no issues. I agree it's nice to have something official looking but not nice to waste money on it.

beechkingd likes this.
  17. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

I can let the cat out of the dishwasher now......deposit sent, flight booked!

2013 FJR1300 from a CMRA racer! Put the pitchforks down! Pretty sure he's not one of "them." Whoever them are!

ToofPic and SmokeSignalRT like this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Damn, ride in the hills last week got you thinking huh? :D

19. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Me and Jr are gonna be sport touring fools this summer!

....or at the least, still just fools!:crackup:

Stumpy and ToofPic like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, half of you at least.

I like the kid a bunch :D

Brad likes this.