1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a rental house in S Fla?

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

It is funny no matter where we live the heart desires somewhere else.

Quicktoy likes this.
  2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Not me, man. I love Wisconsin. Sure, I’d like to get a winter place somewhere warm, but I don’t think I could ever leave for good.

Quicktoy likes this.
  3. Boman Forklift

That’s great cheesehead. Lol I think I’m making it out to race with my dad this year in Illinois, you still interested in coming out or riding it?

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m not sure of their stipulations.

I know for Cape, their permit and tap fees are ridiculous ($12K-$15K for a normal dwelling), so people quit building there. I remember reading a multi-page newspaper story about it and all the money they spent on developing infrastructure. Then, nobody building in these new developments. City council is trying to recoup most of their investment in one pile of fees versus recouping over time via taxes, which are already high. If you look on Google Earth, north of Pine Island Rd, you’ll see developments with very few houses. It almost looks like Lehigh Acres, in places. Driving around both places is eerie.

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If you want to see something cool, Google Earth “Little Bokeelia Island” and zoom in on it. You’ll see the mangroves are actually shaped with hedge trimmers. I’ve kayaked around it several times and the place is amazing. The guy who started “It Works!” is the current owner of the place. I’d love to live out there.

6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Wow I didn't realize I was living in such a hellhole! I do have residential rentals here (Fort Lauderdale) and have for 20+ years. Landlord business is the same here as it is in any other metropolitan area. Yes there are alot of Spanish speakers- Yes, the drivers suck. Yes, there is crime and morons. Still my favorite place to live, though. YMMV of course.

All that being said, I wouldn't buy rentals down here based on some listings I see online. As @MELK-MAN says, buying a few rentals far from home is a tough proposition. I had 40+ units in Atlanta and was there weekly, and it was still a TON of work.

Scotty87, MELK-MAN and ducnut like this.
  7. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Mine is due to health issues. I have Addison's coupled with my pituitary tumor. I’m always hot.

8. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

My parents and I own a duplex in Hollywood, FL., for 5.5 years now.

Just passed by and visited it this past October while I was there and it is located in the slums.

So far no issues with getting paid. No issues from tenants thus far.
    With tenants, it's aa hit or miss aspect.

We own a couple of triplex's here in Canada and same situation... some good others bad.
    Weather you're in a good neighbourhood or not.
    You've got good honest people with lost of money and the opposite exist also... but y'all know this already.

If you get a good deal on a rental home (house, duplex, triplex, etc...) go for it. If you ain't happy with the experience, put it for sale and move on.

ducnut likes this.
  9. Scotty87

HELL yes.

And I’m not a Cheesehead, I’m a transplant. My friends still call me a FIB and I’ve been here 25 years

10. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

We love this area, we've been several times along the coast and we're going back to Manasota Key in March.

11. Boman Forklift

I had to google that......LOL

I know you are a motorcycle guy and very mechanical. If you want to get the bike and get it painted for me, you can ride it a few times. Would just need to talk with my dad on when you can pick it up from him.

If you do, @beac83 gets a chance to ride it too.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

12. Scotty87

6’1 240-250 or so-ish, depending on my level of commitment at the current moment. Plan moving forward is to be at 225 by June but that’s likely a pipe dream.

what do you mean about the paint? I have several connections locally.

13. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Uh oh, you know that means you might be one of the miscreants everyone else is talking about.

Gino230 likes this.
  14. Boman Forklift

The bike is in primer. My dad is old enough he doesn’t want to work on it and all my buddies I grew up with have all moved to warmer climates. So I figured at some point I might want to get it painted before I come out there again, however right now I can’t until my commercial building sells.

So, maybe I get you to pick it up or meet my dad over at a race in Joliet and you into handle that and then as my payment back for your time I let you ride It.

I’m just under 6 ft and about 195. Last time I rode it it best pass was 8.9x, so it should do 9.20-9.40 with you on it, I would guess.

15. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Totally!