1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a rental house in S Fla?

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Two totally different atmospheres. I lived in Daytona for 10 years and had tons of friend in west palm, Lauderdale, Jax and Miami and would visit often. I grew up in the Sarasota area and live just south in Venice now and just totally different types of areas compared to the right coast.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well I guess I need to come check it out. We have another couple we play pickleball with, and there is a championship coming up somewhere in Florida, don’t remember where? We talked about using that as an excuse to fly out there and check out Florida. I’m thinking there is a chance we may leave California when we retire.

Quicktoy likes this.
  3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Hope you like hot and humid 7-8 months out of the year. Go in August or September to get the full effect.

4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the right coast as long as you are north of Palm Beach

Vstate60 likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That is the main concern. I remember that humidity from Illinois summers. Plus I understand the bugs are so bad there, people have their pools screened in.

6. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I agree with this.
    I just moved to Lake Wood Ranch. I’m right on the border of Sarasota and Manatee County.
    We looked at a bunch of areas in Florida and with all things considered I thought this was the best option as far as areas go.

Schools where I live are great (I dont have kids but resale value). I’m 30 minutes from great beaches.
    Sarasota airport is 15 minutes from my house.
    Tampa International is 50 minutes. Orlando is little under 2 hours. Pretty much can fly anywhere in the world with those close by.
    Taxes are low.
    My pension income isnt taxed.

It would take a ton of money for me to move to Miami or Fort Lauderdale. I was recently recruited to work out of Miami and only way I will is remotely. I wont move there.

As Quicktoy mentioned I would stay away from the east coast completely.

Ride safe,
    AAron

Quicktoy likes this.
  7. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Buy a spare horn and bumper for your vehicle if you move to south Florida, you'll wear the horn and bumpers out really quick down there.
    Couldn't pay me enough to live in south Florida.

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

SE Fl tends to be a cesspool because you get tri state area trash thats gona turn Flarida on its ear :rolleyes: Easy flights and 6 lanes of 95 in each direction...lol. Only folks making money on rentals is multifamily...thats new or recently rehabbed. South Floridian renters also think a lease is a deed...lol. Also its best to habla Espanol. The other caveat is who are going to be the trades people you can trust?? Hvac #1, plumbing #2 and hopefully it has an old tile roof.
    HOAs are another problem.

Vstate60 and Boman Forklift like this.
  9. Quicktoy

Bro. You didn’t tell me you moved a half hour away from me!!!! This is the same Aaron that used to swing by my house in Daytona? If it’s not then oops lol.

10. Quicktoy

Let me know where and I can send you to some places to check out if near by.

11. Quicktoy

I lived in Daytona. It was north of palm beach and a shit hole lol.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

its changed a whole lot in the past 10yrs. Palm Beach isnt terrible except in the winter... when the snowbirds flock to town.
    Singer Island is actually nice... and it neighbors Riviera Beach... that is an unadulterated shithole!

13. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Love the area. I spend a couple weeks a year in Sanibel, my parents have a timeshare. I want to retire there but no way in hell I’ve got the scratch. Hoping St James City might be an option but that’s probably a little too mucho for what you get also. I do love it down there tho.

ducnut and Quicktoy like this.
  14. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

The east coast isn’t all bad. Cocoa Beach and Canaveral are nice enough. Just don’t try making a left turn onto the A1A at an intersection without a traffic light.

15. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

I wouldn’t recommend SE Florida to anyone that doesn’t already know the place and exactly what to expect. It’s a combination of unbelievable wealth matched with daily murders and despicable crime only blocks away no matter where you are.

Watching the news absolutely destroys your faith in humanity. The amount of POS people everywhere down here makes me want to get my family to SW or central FL. However there is so much to do down here, so much action any day, it is addicting and hard to go somewhere slow paced.

TurboBlew, Quicktoy and MELK-MAN like this.
  16. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

There’s a lot of contradiction. Are you or are you not recommending the area?

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d rather be on Pine Island, anyway. It’s a whole lot easier to get on/off the island, cheaper, and close to everything on Pine Island Road.

I’ve stayed on Matlacha and in Cape Coral, over a few winters. I’m actively looking now, but, north of Tampa.

I’m in JAX the next couple days, then, headed down to Sebastian, then, over to Cape and back up 75.

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

being from IL myself for 20 yrs , and now having been in FL for 30+ yrs , think August IL humidity... but it doesn't stop for 6 or seven months... ;)

Boman Forklift and Quicktoy like this.
  19. Quicktoy

Yep. 6 month summers I tell everyone. I can’t wait to move to Colorado or Wyoming.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  20. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I’ve never been to Pine but I was browsing property on it on Zillow the other day. I was surprised at how reasonable some of it seemed, especially empty lots. Is there a no new building ordinance or something?