1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a rental house in S Fla?

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Jan 20, 2020.

1. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

anyone with experience with the market down there? around Ft Lauderdale etc? good? bad?

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

No way man.
    Itll be under water in less than a couple years. Don't you watch CNN?
    :D

3. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Any particular reason why you are looking there? I was born and raised here in Florida and can't think of any particular reason why I would pick Ft. Lauderdale.

4. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

Miami area...in general

5. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Literally or financially?

6. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

Too expensive to buy for rental although I have never looked in the poorer areas for slum lording.

I have a rental that was originally $169k and rent it cheap at $1500 just to keep the problem-free tenants in year 5.

7. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

ducnut and Pixelator like this.
  8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

5e87b618166f945f4545bde78162a6c8.jpg

sharkattack, beac83 and Vstate60 like this.
  9. omatter34

But, why there?

R1M370 and MELK-MAN like this.
  10. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

There is no way I would consider purchasing a rental home or apartment in Ft. Lauderdale area. The ability to find quality renters even in the nicest area , that being the Narrow outer island area right on the Ocean is impossible.
    My brother owns 8 rental units on Seville St , which runs a block and a half between the intercostal and the ocean . This is a very desirable area . But the horror stories I’ve heard over the years about his tenants are unbelievable.

11. Lavana

Lavana The coming

Are you an experienced investor?

I manage 30+ units in Fll and don’t want to believe is going under water any time soon.

I’ve studied different markets in Florida and even the South Carolinas. I’m finding that I want to stick with what i know.

12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

owning 1 or 2 rentals, far from where you live, is a horrible idea.
    One thing to consider is a vacation condo that is managed by a rental company. Fully furnished, short term rentals. Had a couple of family members do this. The rental co. takes a bigger cut, but they have to oversee getting the rental ready for each occupant. This frees up the unit from time to time for you to use as a vacation.. still.. i can't see how it's a good idea if you didn't buy years ago at lower prices.
    Money in almost any well diversified mutual fund would have netted a tidy +-20% this past year. can't say that will continue.

tony 340 likes this.
  13. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

basically its an area where people tend to want to move to (vs say Nebraska lol). it is my GF thinking of the investment, and we have been there a few times.

anyone have any thoughts on vegas as an alternative. its certainly closer (3hr drive), but cant be rented on A B&B....

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

15. omatter34

If you're looking at Florida, I'd look anywhere between Tampa and Fort Meyers before I ever considered SE Florida.

MELK-MAN and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

My neighbor in Lake Mary made a killing with Air BnB. Still reasonable property in that area.

17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

We've been looking in marathon

omatter34 likes this.
  18. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

No. They all want to move where I live. Sarasota county. Look there. East coast is slum coast.

19. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

This!!!!!

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I don’t know Florida, but have thought I could end up there someday, why is this a good area and the other area bad?