1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

building/swapping mini wheels

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by rk97, Feb 19, 2015.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Wheels are expensive to build, which is why direct swaps are so awesome. Building with stock parts is almost as good.

Specifically, I am hoping that an CRF150F front hub will lace to a 16" hoop using XR80 front spokes or XR100/CRF150F rear spokes.

Anyone know if this will work?

Or is the better route to a disk brake in 16" or 17" wheels just to go with a complete CR80 front end?

if people want to use this thread as a place to list or store other direct-swap wheel conversions, that's fine too. I am addicted to $400 craigslist dirt bikes that are a few hundred bucks away from being fun kart track bikes...

2. kevinnolde

kevinnolde kandjracingsolutions.com

The issue becomes what rim? The dirt rims are very narrow with most being 1.6 inch or smaller. I ship a 17x 2.5 inch front with Buchannan spokes for $220, not cheap but not that bad for something that works.

3. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I went looking for a CR80 front end, but it is pretty much only the 1986 that is a direct swap right?

4. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Whichever year was the first year of the disc brake, and only that year. I wanna say it was 1984 but not 100%.

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Kev, got anything for kits in 16"?

6. ACDNate

That's not bad pricing at all.

7. kevinnolde

Not yet, we were kicking around a 2.27 set but the tooling is prohibitively expensive at this time. I am seeking interest in 17 inch honda rims for the 100s but at this time we are going to import some Mitas 16 inch tires for the NJ racing group and see how that goes. We want more people on the track, not make a mint of the few that can show up now!

8. sharky nrk

I would be interested to see what options were available for non-suck tires on the 16s. I really want a set of 17s for the 100 but want and willing to fork out the cash are two different things at times.

9. kevinnolde

The issue on the 100 is also the swingarm length (TWSS) I am told they can only use a really small 17 like a 95 front and a 115 rear. There is also apparently a division in the 100 scene that want to keep the class as low cost and stock (except for front rims to safely match the rear) so if these tires work they will be another option. The other is a superbike/built style. As a racer I liked to run in these classes on stockish bikes to see how much better I was than the bike. For us amateurs its all about the buzz right?

10. ACDNate

I've had a 120 Dunlop slick on my 17x2.5" rear with stock swing arm. Cleared fine but the 115 feels better IMO.

11. sharky nrk

I have a bike that was flat worn out and it was cheaper and easier to BBK it. I have another bike I plan on keeping stock (or stock class rules) but with the BBK it puts you in a class where you better have real race tires and a disk up front. I don't see going to a hybrid bike so I think I will need a 17 rear wheel on stock hub setup to match a CR80 17in front fork/wheels swap. It will be a off season project likely so I am in no hurry but these things should be kept as cheap as possible to rules of the class IMHO.

12. kevinnolde

We have sent off the hubs so I will have an option for your setup soon.

13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I really think the only way 17's would be worth it is if it comes with a disk brake.

17" wheels on a 100 didn't yield much better lap times for the last person I saw do it. We're talking half a second a lap on a track where the lap record for a stock 100 is in the high :54 range. (that :54 was set by a 12 yr old though. I think we had one adult dip into the :54's, and he's 175 lbs and finishes in the top 5 down at the Herrin Compound)

I can put you in touch with the guy who had 17's on his 100 if you want, or ask him about how it was done for you.

14. sharky nrk

Yeah no, your right. The 17 front would be a CR80 with disk. The custom would be to match the rear.