1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build your own mini track?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by rk97, May 28, 2014.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Probably a total pipe-dream, but stay with me on this for a minute...

What would it cost to create and pave your own 'kart' track?

Assuming that it ONLY saw 2-wheeled use, could you get away with a packed gravel base, and then a thin layer of asphalt?

Then how much would one expect to pay for said materials? I'm struggling to come up with a minimum track width that would be sufficient, but 20' at the narrowest point sounds reasonable, no?

Would we be talking $10k, or $50k for something like that?

A more realistic scenario might be to create an extension to a parking lot track (like if your racing buddy owns a business where semis have room to turn around in the back). that would eliminate a lot of the paving, and you could just lay out cones and chalk lines.

But pretend I have a few acres to work with, and a very understanding wife.

2. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Ask Herrin...

3. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

A quick google puts asphalt paving at $2.50-$4/sq ft. A 12ft wide, 1/4 mile track will run you about $50k (based on $3/sq ft).

4. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Yeah, asphalt and concrete are not particularly cheap at the moment. I wish I could find an understanding business with a decent parking lot lol.

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

That is our issue too... We have access to a lot, but it would take forever to clear the gravel and other debris enough to make it safe and fun.

6. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Someone do the math for me, how many yards per foot of say a 12' wide track, at 4" thick.

Yowsa, I need roughly 200yrds to do a concrete mini track 1/4 mile long.

At $90yd that's $18k just in concrete, nevermind materials and labor to form/finish.

What's asphalt go for per foot/yard whatever?

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  7. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

As mentioned above asphalt runs about $3 per square foot, so your 1/4 mile long by 12' wide scenario is about 15,840 sf times $3 per is $47,520

That doesn't include any prep or base I imagine

8. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

dont forget the coatings.
    that shit is pricey.

9. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't there be zoning issues to deal with too. I remember reading about that guy in NY who has his own track and I remember him saying he had to work it out with his neighbors among other things to get it built. Dealing with neighbors and legal issues could be $$$.

10. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Best answer would be "It depends". The regulations are going to vary a ton across the country. Here is how I would hypothetically see this turning out.

Can you get permission to pour a bunch of concrete and asphalt on your property? Sure, assuming you don't have any issues with setback, buried cables/pipes, environmental (protected tree frog or something stupid), drainage etc.

All hell is going to break loose when someone looks at the drawings from your engineer and realizes this chunk of material looks suspiciously like a race track. First thing you are going to have to do is find a way to convince them this is for personal use and not a business. If they think it's for profit, then you are now subject to all commercial zoning issues and likely won't get your track. But let's just say you get past that and get someone to give you the stamp of approval for your personal playground.

First time you rev an engine the neighbors are going to file a nuisance report, county is going to make you rip it out anyway or switch to electric bikes.

So to make this happen you are going to have to have the nicest people I've ever seen in a zoning or permit office, and awesome neighbors.

Honestly if it's far enough out you could get away with it for quite a while likely. Just ask the neighbors in advance. I have seen several backyard MX tracks further out from the city in my area that have been there for years.

11. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I would lay out your track and build it out of dirt. Set up irrigation to groom it and ride dirt track or supermoto. Keep it simple.

12. G2G

G2G I feel the need

If the zoning laws would give you crap for building a track on a piece of personal property can you get around that by just paving the whole yard? Then setting up cones. You can say its ur driveway or lot to park your cars.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Most zoning covers that as well, a certain amount of pavement and you'll need to construct a retention pond area as well as have proper runoff. Open ground/grass is part of storm runoff control.

14. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Or just make the track your "Driveway"
    [​IMG]

15. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Ok, now that is awesome.

16. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

That is somewhere in Lakeland Florida. Someone here should find it.

17. Pilotx1

Pilotx1 Well-Known Member

18. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

six shades of awesome right there lol

19. bajakirch

bajakirch ^Not what you think

Not too far from me is an old go-kart track that went out of business years ago. About a year back I noticed it and saw it was getting pretty overgrown. I stopped and checked it out, just walked the property. the track itself was in good condition.

I got a wild idea in my head about buying it and turning it into a scooter racetrack. But once I checked out what the guy wanted for it, I understood why it's been sitting fallow for so long. It's in a light industrial area that's currently being redeveloped, so he's got dollar signs in his eyes.

I toyed with the idea of trying to lease it for occasional scooter races, but a quick call to my insurance agent pretty much put that idea out of my mind.

Too many hassles for too little return.

20. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

Just put knobbies on it and have fun in the dirt. If you really want to hang it out put rain tires on it instead. :)

Jess was a bit annoyed that I made a mini Nelson one snowy weekend so I went out a bit farther to get off the lawn. :Poke: Here are a couple laps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJFQycBtK_E