1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brought a knife to a gunfight

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by gofastpinhead, Aug 23, 2015.

1. gofastpinhead

gofastpinhead Well-Known Member

Although I had an absolute blast I realized that I was out gunned to say the least. That said, I have been researching the 489 setup for my FZR and wanted to know if anybody had any FZR600 bits. Looking for a head, rods and pistons. Thanks guys

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Hmmmm...brought a knife to a gunfight? Sounds like what I did yesterday:p I took a vtr250 to race at Summit with the other wee-bikes.The only thing was,there was no wee! with it. I know someone with alot of FZR parts,and will let him know you are looking.

3. gofastpinhead

Thanks man

4. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

I don't know your level of track experience as I just met you for the first time this weekend, but I will give you the standard line that racers give to new guys looking for more power:

Spend your money on track time and tires, get the suspension tuned for your weight/riding style. You would be surprised how fast a stock motored 400 can go, especially at a tight track like Tally. I used to run a stock engined EX500 in V6LW before my FZR, and I could consistently finish in the top 5 with it. No point looking for more power until you are near the limits with what you've got.

Nice meeting you and welcome to the nuthouse!

Kris

5. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

:stupid:

What Kris said, spend the money on track time.

6. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Best advice ever!

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

What classes did you run?

8. gofastpinhead

Thanks Kris

Thats what my plan is for sure.

Bike was not running to its full potential and it was my first time out. Suspension has been setup only about 60% of the way. Bike came with an holiness shock and I serviced it the best I could be fore tally.

Going to do some dyne runs to find out whats going on in the midrange (non existent) and go from there

See you guys at Road A!!

9. gofastpinhead

V6 LW. Didn't think I could run any others

10. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Mid range on a 400, that's funny. Think of 10.5K as idle and the Red limiter as a shift point.
    Does it have an airbox or is it a pod/stack set up?

11. gofastpinhead

I am learning. Have never ridden anything that revs this high

12. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

A FZR400 Screaming at 14k is pure music... :)

13. britx303

YES SIR!!!! Ive missed it,and finally going back this weekend!! WOOHOO!!!!

14. britx303

"D" superstock,clubman(i think) and Lightweight solo.

15. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Haha! I was gonna say "unless you mean midrange, being 12k, you are doing it wrong!!" :D Learn to keep it 10-14k and make sure you've got momentum on your side as they don't really accelerate without it! Most fun bike ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSDLHf4V1_0

Just 'cuz...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  16. gofastpinhead

THATS how you do it.....thanks Brad

17. t500racer

No DSB bikes in Clubman.

18. britx303

:p

19. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Chadly, glad to hear you made it thru......:up:

489 wha..???.....I can almost gar-un-tee you are the knife sir, not the bike.

Just keep at it, you'll get better man. :up:

20. t500racer

It's the two-stroke four-stroke! Let that thing fall below 10k in a corner, you will spend the next three corners getting your momentum back up. You will learn a lot about corner speed, because many times one gear will have you revving too high and the next gear will have the thing falling flat on it's face, leaving you no choice but to rail the corner faster in the higher gear to keep it on the boil.