1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bringing a bike back to life

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RossK6, Feb 28, 2018.

1. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Long story short, my 2005 SV 650 has not been run in about 4 years. To make matters worse, I left some gas in it without using a fuel stabilizer and will not start.
    My inclination is to pull the tank and clean it out - any recommendations on what to use?

Pull the fuel pump and clean it-again, any recommendations on a cleaner?

From there I think I'm looking at working my way down to the injectors. From what I've picked up on the been, Melka does a good job cleaning those when not riding dirt bikes.

Any other suggestions are absolutely welcome.

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I'd start with fresh gas to clean to start, alot of the shit will dissolve back into it, or diesel or kerosene. And yes, I send injectors to Greg.

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Send them out right away, no sense in running a cylinder lean and having bigger issues.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the fuel pumps are pretty easy & inexpensive to replace on those models.
    You can activate the injector with a 9v battery, off the bike... if youre inclined. You should be able to see
    down the intake manifold if the injectors are firing fuel, once you get the pump working... before sending them off.

5. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

The little SV is up and running. It puffed a little smoke at first, but it cleared up after a few minutes. I'm guessing either oil settling in from the valve guides over the two years of sitting or the rings re-seating. Thumbs up to Pro Flow (Melka) for the quick turnaround with the injectors. I didn't request anything special, but they had them back to me within a week.

Murcielago311 likes this.
  6. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Did you do anything with the fuel pump? Curious because I have a similar project coming up.

7. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Yes, the pump was pulled, disassembled, and cleaned with carb cleaner. The pumps plastic housing had degraded a bit, and was the source of what looked like sawdust in the old fuel.