1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by GRH, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

no doubt. elections (or referendums) have consequences.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What's amazing is that David Cameron proposed the referendum not because he thought it was a good thing, but as a desperate move to reach as far right as he could to get reelected. Now you not only loses his job, but triggers to break up of the UK.

3. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

now THAT'S how you create a legacy. :D

4. FlynScotsman

FlynScotsman Well-Known Member

Now that would be a mistake. The SNP would be foolish to ignite that again so soon after it was rejected.

5. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Don't think they'll seek to join EU sometime in the next couple of years? From the map I saw, it looks like ALL of Scotland voted to stay in the EU.

6. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I'm sure he has money, but what the hell do you do after capping a career like that? This is exactly the opposite of going out on top... LOL

7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The best part is a month from now when the panic subsides. Unlike the plague and petulance that was warned of by the stay side reality will set in.

Read the procedure for Brexiting. Yep it will actually happen a few years from now. Of course if the EU pulls some games the Brits might just tell them where the rule can be shoved.

My bet is things settle. The pound rebounds. The exit will have fits and starts but largely be orderly. The huge drop in income for Britans will be shown to be a lie based on assuming zero trade with EU. However both the UK and EU will realize they both have to lose on trade and figure out a good path forward. The UK will prosper.

The bigger fear is the continued collapse of the EU and its impact on the slacker countries like Greece and the Eastern block countries.

Interesting times we live in.

turtlecreek likes this.
  8. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

turtlecreek and Jedb like this.
  9. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

We all realize that the referendum is not binding, right?

Cameron still has to enact article 50 of the Lisbon treaty - then it goes into negotiations for 2 years. I haven't heard if they enacted it yet - there is still a chance they can tell the voters to fuck off and stay in.

10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Damn! I'm in agreement with Fonda for the second time this month. I need therapy. I think I'm going to slap a black woman around to see how deep seated my issues really are.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I listened to Nicola Sturgeon's speech this morning after Boris Johnson's, and she left very little doubt that there will be another referendum to get Scotland out of the UK and back into the EU.

Zero chance of that happening. Cameron's resignation in three months is to clear the way for someone (presumably Boris Johnson) to send that letter to Brussels on his first day in office. It is happening.

In my opinion, the only uncertainty is what Northern Ireland will do in the long run. But I'm certain that the UK is getting out and Scotland is holding a referendum.

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

The UK is ahead of us on the grand curve of history by a generation or two. I'm going to continue my habit of making predictions that appear absurd but will invariably occur. The United States will cease to exist as a single entity before this century ends. We are defying nature by attempting a permanent amalgamation of non-homogeneous peoples.

SGVRider and XFBO like this.
  13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Obama must be bumming today.
    He warned them not to do this, but they did it anyway.

SpeedyE likes this.
  14. G 97

G 97 Garth

He's busy crafting an executive order mandating that Britain rejoin the EU. :D

600k2, SpeedyE, crashman and 2 others like this.
  15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The Donald's press conference from the UK was interesting. Very presidential IMHO....Would have loved to see Obama's real response when he learned that the Brits told him thanks but no thanks.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh...he just backed up a couple steps, drew another line in the sand, declared victory, and then blamed it on Bush and guns.

turtlecreek and crashman like this.
  17. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

The younger generations that just lost their freedom to move around 27 other countries to live and work are absolutely pissed.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Unnecessary. It's already in the ACA.

19. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Yes, damned thoughtless of the Brits to build that wall in the Channel. On the other hand, their youth could just take a lesson from Latin America...

turtlecreek likes this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!