1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brembo master cylinder

Discussion in 'General' started by Robert P, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Robert P

Robert P Well-Known Member

ok i have a few questions about them
    what is the differance between a 19x16, 19x18, & 19x20
    what one would you recommend for racing and why
    also where is a good place to purchase one
    thanks

2. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

The numbers refer to the piston size.- bore x stroke.

It depends on the bike as to which you would want (and of course, personal preference). Most people, for example, would not want to put a 19x20 on a 600cc bike - as soon as you touched the lever, you'd have a LOT of brake :).

As to where to get one ... that's up to you <hint hint>.

- Roach

3. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

Ask the vintage guys... about the brakeguy..he has the equations you need. It has to do with the number and diameter of the pistons.:up:

4. Reckless_Kelly

Reckless_Kelly Well-Known Member

The numbers stand for Bore x Lever Ratio. All of them have a 19mm bore, but the lever ratio changes the "feel" of the lever. A 19x20 with have hella brakes at the slightest touch ofthe lever, with more sensitivity to even the slightest movement, while a 19x16 will have more leverage, and more lever movement to get the same amount of braking force. I personally have a 19x20 on my lightwieght Ducati 750 SS, and the brake lever moves VERY LITTLE before I'm stopping VERY QUICKLY. I still only need to use one finger for my braking.

5. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

i have one I' mnot using...it's left over from an incomplete motad project. If your interested shoot me an email and I'll check the size.

[email protected]

6. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

The best mod money can buy imo.

:beer:

7. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

And Vesrah pads to go with em...:D

8. Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle Well-Known Member

Which one will work best depends on you and what bike you are using it on.
    If you have a bike with dual discs and 4 piston calipers,(2 calipers)

The 19X20 feels the firmest, it requires the most pressure or pull to slow you down, look at what it is a 20MM piston is going to move more fluid for the same amount of movement as a smaller dia piston.

19X18 this is the best size, in my opinion, it does not "feel" as solid as the 19X20 when you are pulling on it when the bike is parked, but uses a very light touch to stop you on the street or track, two fingers, to get the bike to stop fast.

19X16, this is the size preferred by expert riders at fast hard braking tracks, as Doug Polan puts it, "I like Power Brakes" this is what the 19X16 does, one finger, very sensitive, not for the unexperianced.

Keep in mind these recomendations will change if you have a different brake setup, such as a two piston caliper, a single caliper, etc.

9. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

And there you have it in full detail.

Thanks Dan. :beer:

10. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

LP carries a couple of them - if you are on Team Privateer its hard to beat the price.
    www.speedwerks.com has good prices on them and a better selection.
    www.yoyodyneti.com is the definitive source, but expensive generally.

I put a new 16mm non-radial Brembo on my ancient FZR400 and found the brakes I've been missing all these years. Of course this is on a dual large dia stock single pot calipers setup.

11. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

Also - the Brembos in general have excellent bleeding characteristics. Mine has a bleed nipple that is located in the perfect position (highest on the master cyl) which makes bleeding a very simple job.

12. Robert P

Robert P Well-Known Member

Well it looks like maybe the 19x18 is the way to go for me.
    i guess i should have gave you a little more info about my bike and my self. I ride an 04 R1 ive done alot to the bike as far as brakes go i put SS brake line EBC HH pads Galfer wave rotors and a CRG short lever and i really like the feel i seem to think im a late braker and also trail break alot into apex. im starting to covert the bike over to race only and have had a few people tell me to get a Brembo master.
    so now that you know what i have and what im doing would you agree that a 19x18 is the way to go
    thanks

13. 2weelferrum04

2weelferrum04 Well-Known Member

brake

when you do purchase the Master please tell us wich you got and how you like it in comparison to stock. i too ride an '04R1 and are waiting on my SS braided lines so i can make a decision on wich Master to buy.

Ferrum

14. Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle Well-Known Member

If anyone on this board wants a 18X19, we will do a special price of $210.00, this is for the Mastercylinder with lever. Shipping by ground is $9 within the 48 states

15. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I have 19x20 and love it.not R1 bike but I have R1 brakes on my bike(R1 calipers with 320 rotors).I use one finger for braking.I like most how you can modulate it when trail braking.

16. burniep

burniep Well-Known Member

When you use the bleed nipple on the master cyl due you also have to bleed from the calipers?

Thanks
    Paul
    NOV 826

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

18. 418

418 Expert #59

How would you know...?!?!?

Are you a highly trained professional that works on motorcycles in a highly specialized service department that's highly specialized...!!!

Pftttt. Rookies. :rolleyes:

:D

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, I'm just a dude with a clue....

Do they even let you actually touch the bikes?

20. 418

418 Expert #59

I touch and ride them. :Poke:

I was having a bad day man. It's March and my bike is still in pieces and I'm "supposed" to be at Roebling in three weeks. It's defenitally affecting my attitude...:mad:

I think my wife is looking for a divorce lawyer. :D