1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

breaking in new gloves

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, May 18, 2020.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

What do you guys do to break in new gloves? Normally I would ride with them in practice, but since my first session of the season is going to be MotoAmerica I'm looking to get a jump.

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Not sure if it's good advice but I used to dampen them then go ride a street bike or bicycle for a while.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Wear them around the house as much as you can. Not the best advice (back in the 1400s) but then I liked to get them wet and wear them some more and use them (bicycle, rake the lawn, whatever) and then let them dry and then wear them around the house some more.

Way way back in the day (BC days) some people would tell you to piss in them, wear them around the house and then in practice. I'm serious. Old dirty track trick to prevent blisters (piss on your hands and let them dry normally) and do the same with your gloves.

SpeedyE likes this.
  4. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Soak in hot water...go for a ride on your bike. Once fully dry..recondition with leather conditioner.

5. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Are you sure you didn't just want an excuse to piss on your hands?

6. mdroadracer

mdroadracer Well-Known Member

Buy Held brand gloves. They form fit the natural ergonomic position of the hand gripping the bars, good to go immediately.

DmanSlam, stangmx13, cav115 and 4 others like this.
  7. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I can’t think of who, but there was an old school baseball player who did that and never wore batting gloves because his pee prevented blisters. I think he played for one of the Canadian teams

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Glove brand might help.

I've always had a quick break-in with A* gloves - couple sessions, day at the most and then they would last for years.
    The one pair of Heroics I tried took forever to break-in, like two-three weeks of riding, but I liked 'em. The next month of riding, they disintegrated. WTF?
    Back to A*s.

SpeedyE, TurboBlew and R1Racer99 like this.
  9. mino6466

mino6466 Well-Known Member

YouTube “keeps33 glove break in”. I have done this for years on much more expensive mits than race gloves but he same principles apply for your race gloves. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

10. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Same here, hated their boots but the GP Pro gloves were always perfect, my current gloves are almost 5 years old and I still love them. Agreed with others on fast break-in, wear them wet and let them dry out.

11. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Wear them when driving your car to work. Even better if you drive a manual. Plus chicks dig it.

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

What kinda of gloves cost more than race gloves ?

jrsamples likes this.
  13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

urine seems to fix everything...lol
    -athletes foot
    -bunions
    -stiff mitts

I would think conditioner... ala mink oil is the best liquid to assist. Water to rinse the corrosive hand salt after every use. Do not store them damp.

Phl218 likes this.
  14. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Rub one out withem on.

Phl218, jrsamples and motoracer1100 like this.
  15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Get tougher hands. :D

16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

What gloves?

18. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

That’s the reason they started making them out of Kangaroo :beer:

19. Gino230

Well, I won't be peeing on them, even if cool people are / were doing it.

These are the Dainese full metal 6. My first pair of Dainese gloves. The RS Taichi gloves they replaced have done fairly well, about 4 or 5 years, but they're getting stiff from all the sweating and use. I was a big Held fan before that, but the last pair of Held gloves I bought I couldn't get the right fit. The fingers were either too long or the palm too big, so when I was transitioning from gas to brake the glove was getting in the way (talk about excuses!)

I actually tried on several brands at Daytona but couldn't find one that fit comfortably. These came up on clearance so I took a shot. They fit much better than I expected, but it's been a minute since I had new gloves and they feel pretty stiff.

They are cut ergonomically so they are in a natural riding position, which is nice.

20. Gino230

With all those seams and carbon pieces that would hurt like hell!