1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Piston Grease

Discussion in 'Tech' started by some guy #2, Jul 29, 2013.

1. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

After reassembling my calipers with brake fluid as the lube they seem to operate much more evenly (go figure). Is there a specific grease I can buy just for the seals? I would think the brake fluid would eventually get wiped off?

Or are people cleaning and somehow re greasing the pistons regularly?

2. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

3. ruckusracing

I see lots of AMA crews clean calipers everyday.
    but with soap and water

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  4. some guy #2

I found a couple of those threads after posting.

The pistons were relatively clean so how do you re-grease them without dismantling the whole caliper?

5. ruckusracing

I don't know how without dis-assembly. Just clean with soap ( I use simple green) and water

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You have to push the pistons out to grease them. You don't have to disassemble the caliper.

7. ruckusracing

My bad, bad choice of words...Rick stated it better

8. some guy #2

Then you just smear brake fluid on them and push them back in?

9. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

That is what I do.

10. some guy #2

One of my pistons was sticking so I pushed it out and smeared brake fluid on it and pushed it back in and pumped it out again. I did this a few times until it moved much more freely. I guess I need to check this out pretty regularly? Is there a less messy way of smearing brake fluid on the pistons which doesn't get it everywhere?

11. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I personally clean with soap and water if i dont pull the pistons out.

When i do pul everything out, i clean with brake cleaner and grease with silicon grease.

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Much like shock and fork service, brake caliper service can be messy. Wear safety glasses. Trust me, brake fluid in the eye is very, very bad, doctor visit bad. Prepare an area in advance for the mess, have rags ready and do the work in a pan or bucket. Professional shops have drains and grates and such. Water (in a spray bottle) and compressed air is the best way to clean/remove brake fluid.