1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Master

Discussion in 'Parts for Sale' started by 905, Apr 21, 2020.

1. warclok

warclok Well-Known Member

The vents are like that on the newer 2018+ brembo GP models as well, only vented on one side. I don't offset the rotor at all, and yes, pad thickness is the same all around...

2. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Looks like the caliper body is machined slightly offset to use taller piston on one side. Interesting...
    The stock oem on the 11+ gsxr600/750 is 11/16" nissin. Thats about 17.4mm. FWIW, I have used 19mm brembo and thought only the 18mm ratio was worth using. 20mm ratio was too wooden.
    I think the break point (lol) on caliper piston size is right around 32 when you transition from a 17 to 19mm bore. 30-30 pistons definitely 17. 34-34 pistons (M4 brembo) definitely 19. 32-32 and depends if you like more or less travel or more or less pressure required at the lever (smaller mc requires more travel, less overall effort on the lever to achieve the same pressure at the caliper.

AtlantaRoadie89 likes this.
  3. ScrappyCOCO

ScrappyCOCO Well-Known Member

Any Recommendation's for a Master, for a 2008 R6? Stock Calipers! Looking for More Feel.

4. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I use a 19x18 brembo and it was definitely worth the $ in the increased feel dept as well as stopping power. However, the R6 stocker was a lot firmer at the lever no matter how many times I bleed this thing (19x18) it is just less firm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScrappyCOCO likes this.
  5. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

i use a rcs19 and love it but Bryce Prince and Brembo both say a RCS17 is the best option for an R6 with stock calipers. Stock is 16mm so it makes sense that the 19 may be too powerful.

ScrappyCOCO and Newyork like this.
  6. ScrappyCOCO

ScrappyCOCO Well-Known Member

Thank you for the input and info gentlemen!!

7. Moto5150

Moto5150 Well-Known Member

I run an 19x20 on my 12 R6 with stock calipers, srjlxx pads and Galfer sbk floating rotors and feel has never been an issue, but then again, I wanted something similar to my rsv4 factory that I had. I think it comes down to preference and what "feel" your going for. All good information though, thanks for sharing.

8. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Brake lever feel or brake lever modulation is different depending on the ratio of master cylinder to piston size.

Ultimate braking power however shouldn't differ as long as you can reach the same brake line pressure by squeezing harder on the lever when using a larger MC.

This kinda points out why people can get used to different ratios that seem out of line with given recommendations.

You can modulate your brake lever feel through more lever travel (smaller mc, more travel but higher pressure at a given lever pressure) or through more lever force (larger mc, less travel, less line pressure at a given lever pressure). Our brains and muscles get used to a certain "feel" whether that be a light squeeze with a longer travel or a harder pull with less travel. Any change is immediately rejected as something wrong. But with time you will probably quickly adapt.

9. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

The opposite is true on the caliper piston size where at a given line pressure, large piston size results in more force applied at the caliper!
    That is why the racing calipers are in general larger bore calipers than road calipers.