1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Line Routing & Performance?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jboyd12, Mar 17, 2012.

1. jboyd12

jboyd12 Well-Known Member

Hi, so I've been looking into getting stainless braided brake lines but I am not sure what configuration to do. I saw some charts like this one, but I am wondering what the difference is between the different set ups and which is best for performance? Thanks for your input.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  2. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

If you run fork extenders make sure to get longer line.

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Technically being a hydraulic system, it doesn't matter. I prefer the 3 lines with type 950 fitting as I prefer having single banjo bolts around the bike and then not having a bulky splitter above the wheel.

4. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Pressure is the same but fluid volume is not, so run two (smallest diameter) lines for best lever feel.

5. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

I think that as long as you are using good braided lines the routing does not matter much....

6. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

If you get the two line set up make sure the longer banjo bolt wont interfere with lever position.

7. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

950 Type. Easiest to install, single banjo at the master for less fit issues.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

3rd from left

9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

ok, so i have two 2008r6 bikes. All stock master cyl and levers, stock calipers, stock rotors, same pads, same fluid in both.. BUT.. one bike has the galfer 2 line deal (2nd from left in diagram above) with a longer banjo bolt at the master cyl. The other has the galfer "superbike" line with one line from the master that splits above the tire into 2 lines down to each caliper. They do not feel the same, why is that?? is it as TRB pointed out above that there is a difference in fluid volume??

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

On the Galfer Superbike lines is there a banjo at the caliper or is built into the line?

11. chrison600

chrison600 Well-Known Member

The reason there's a difference in feel is the difference in total hose area available to expand. Even though stainless braided hoses have close to zero expansion, there is actually some expansion, even though small, depending on hose construction. When you change the total hose distance (hose wall area available to expand), you change the feel of the system.

The feel of the system will also change with the composition of the hose itself, even if the hose distances remain constant. A hose with a more substantial braid (higher wire count) or a higher spec wire will expand less than a hose with a braid with a lower wire count or lower spec wire. These construction factors contradict the common perception that braided lines are all the same. That is simply not the case.

Your "superbike" setup has less total hose distance as compared to your other bike's two-line setup, hence the difference in feel.

12. bigfella

bigfella Well-Known Member

They have a hydraulic type pipe fitting on the line and a double male adaptor/coupling that screws into the caliper which the fitting screws onto.

13. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

I think you have to state what you are looking to achieve?
    If you want the hardest lever feel with the least travel run two tiny diameter lines from the M/C to the calipers.
    Some guys want less that a rock hard lever feel for low pressure modulation, some want a brick wall stop.

14. gluvnaa

gluvnaa Well-Known Member

Quick Q:

Do you have the same Banjo bolt used at the master cylinder? And, did you use the same washer size (height)?

Banjo bolts can have different size holes and positions for the fluid. You can adjust the connector position on the bolt by using different thickness in washers.

May not be the answer - but worthy info.

15. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Care to explain why this would make a difference??

16. gluvnaa

gluvnaa Well-Known Member

Just thinking that if wrong sized washers are used and the holes are greatly misaligned it would impact the flow of fluid.

I dont think that this is the case, but Ive seen 12 washers used to fit a bolt into the threads.

17. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I would think it is more about pressure than flow.

18. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

since this is on the topic of break lines i will be installing mine this weekend.. does the kind of fluid really matter? Are some better then others? anyone have some they recommend

19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

an answer to your banjo question is i have the stock banjo and master cyl for that matter, with the washers provided that came with the lines.

BE WARNED when using a Brembo 19x18 or other true brembo that requires an additoinal washer if you don't use a shorter banjo. Misplacing the extra washer will have you dragging brakes and warping rotors as the hole in the banjo bolt is now misaligned withthe hose fitting hole. Had this occur, warped a 320mm set of brembo rotors (yea, 6-friggin hundred worth) and a couple stockers before we figured out we f-ed up after rebuilding the brembo m.c. holy crap i was pissed. Washer THICKNESS can also affect where the holes line up, so just be careful out there! :)

I would say fluid matters to some degree, just use DOT4, not DOT5 if it calls for dot4. I will tell you that CastrolSRF ($90 for a pint or somethin) is sometimes a must with gsxr front brakes. Don't know why, but it is.. change fluid fairly often but every weekend is overkill for 99% of us weekend warrior types.

Jessica Posa likes this.