1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Lever Travel

Discussion in 'Tech' started by some guy #2, Jun 7, 2013.

1. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Yes this is on a GSXR :)

If I pull the lever pretty quick the lever gets firm very fast and takes two hands to pull the lever back close to the grips.

If I pull the lever slowly I can almost touch my knuckles before the lever gets firm enough to require excessive force. At that point I can use one hand to pull the lever to the grip.

I just rebuilt the master with a new piston and bled 2 bottles of fluid with zero bubbles coming out of the calipers and master cylinder.

The lever is set at 5 out of 6 for reach adjustment.

My SV650 with a GSXR master does the same thing but not nearly as bad as my GSXR1000.

Pads are brand new, all bolts are tight, and all bleeders have sealant and/or teflon tape on them.

Is the feel I'm describing normal for all bikes? I would think the lever travel would be the same so maybe there's air in the master? If there is how do you get it out? Hang it upside down or something?

2. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Had a similar issue and went to a Brembo 19RCS and 09 mono block calipers and its right there no fade or hitting the fingers ever....

OEM masters are junk compared to the 19RCS.....

06 gsxr 600

or run the 19RCS with 06 and up R6 Calipers....

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  3. some guy #2

Believe me I'm about one ebay auction away from getting a brembo. I'd rather make sure my mechanical prowess isn't lacking.

It's not fading during riding either, just vague feel. Just sitting in my garage it's unnerving to be able to pull the lever that far back.

4. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

I had the same issue with the GSXR master, the R1/6 cliper on a Brembo is the ticket, if you need to maintain SS compliance, buy a new master, rebuilding mine really didn't help much.

5. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Yea..whats worse is when it goes from a good to squish 3-4 laps in...

Call Riders discount they are probably cheaper than ebay....I am all over ebay and craigs and there price was best...it was at my door in 2 days

6. some guy #2

I can't find a new GSXR master for cheap or cheap enough to say F-it and get a Brembo.

7. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

I would just go right to the Brembo....as building 3 gsxr's thats a must do for me ASAP. But, I just sold one with 1k on it and that wasn't new enough for me to keep around...

8. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

You can get the nissin mc from parts unlimited for $150. Or spring for the brembo.

9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

10. superkain

superkain Well-Known Member

I've got an '06 gsxr master laying around if you want to go that route. $30 shipped.

11. some guy #2

^Is it brand new in the box? I noticed some scoring on the old piston set during the rebuild which maybe is making a difference.

12. some guy #2

For sure, I've been looking at the R6/R1's available. I figure if I'm going SBK I might as well go big or go home.

13. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

I think the suzuki masters are known for going bad prematurely (requires a rebuild and a very good bleed). Brembo monoblocks + brembo master will definitely solve your problem, but will also burn a hole through your wallet.

14. superkain

superkain Well-Known Member

Nope. Just regular one I had on the bike for a few thousand miles. I upgraded to Brembo, and was pleased with the feel.

15. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

Its all about getting that last air bubble out. Remove the master from bar and put the bleeder at the top(turn MC vertical). Tap it and let sit for a couple mins.Then barely crack bleeder and squeeze the lever to force air out. Get vesrah pads. Done!

16. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I think the 19RCS Brembo is the way to go...

However, do NOT use Yamaha R1 /R6 calipers... Unless you have the R1/R6 16mm Brembo master cylinder.

I used a 19mm Brembo and I was not too happy... Then I changed masters to a 20.6mm Beringer billet master cylinder... Lever was still firm but to increase braking power you needed to increase pressure on the lever...

The Yamaha R1 /R6 calipers are mean to be used with a 16mm master cylinder, not a 19mm master cylinder...

I upgraded to the 2009 GSXR1000 calipers and those are meant to use a 19mm master cylinder... Lever was firm. Now, to increase braking power you needed to just move the lever further (Not as much pressure, just movement of the lever).

Good luck!

17. some guy #2

For the R6/R1 masters I've found a few on ebay with broken plastic elbows (connects master to reservoir). I can't find a part number for this so is it not offered? I know for the GSXR's you can buy that part separately.

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i think i saw a thread on the r6 forum where there's an elbow that will fit, it may even be from a suzuki or something but i remember reading about that. will have to search for that thread though.
    i think you are correct, yamaha sadly won't sell that elbow individually. another reason i'm not crazy about the "real brembo" is the rebuild kit is over $60, well you can damn near get a used r6 master cyl complete for that.

19. parapuke

parapuke Well-Known Member

The elbow is available through a Brembo supplier but not OEM through Yamaha.

20. Vstate60

Vstate60 Jaspon&Armas, PA