1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake drag

Discussion in 'Tech' started by joeyg, Oct 12, 2012.

1. joeyg

joeyg Well-Known Member

I have a 2012 cbr 600rr. The front brakes seem to drag way to much. When the front wheel is spun it maybe turns 1/8-1/4 of a revolution and stops. Pushing on the wheel it feels very tight. I've disassembled the front calipers and cleaned an regressed the o rings inside. What else can I do?

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

The rotors probably have a bit to do with that, try the same thing with the rotors warm I bet it frees up quite a bit.

3. joeyg

joeyg Well-Known Member

get the brakes hot and try to spin them? If it works it works, do you know why it would do that?

4. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Take the wheel off and put the Axel back in and see if it moves freely if not adj the fork legs as needed...and when your done putting the wheel on leave it loose and drop it on the ground and give it a bounce or two then tighten everything...GSXR's have the same issue and this seem to help it a bit

5. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

6. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Yeah don't tighten everything up on a fork stand put the wheel on the ground before you torque everything down.

7. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

Clean your caliper pistons with brake fluid.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Second what pigman suggested. Also check the wheel bearing covers. Being a race bike and how you ride/maintain it... there is probably something to be gained there by trimming them back.

9. joeyg

joeyg Well-Known Member

This is how I currently put the front end together.

10. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

You mean the bearing seals?

11. joeyg

joeyg Well-Known Member

with the calipers removed the wheel spins forever so I don't think is has much to do with the wheel bearing seals.
    :beer:

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yes

13. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

check the rotors to make sure they are straight

14. SMR123

SMR123 Well-Known Member

Also, I would suggest rebuilding the calipers with new seals. When grit builds up behind the dust seals, it does not allow the pistons to back off as easily.

15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

The rotor might just not be sitting on the buttons quite straight giving you a little drag, once the rotors heats up and expands a little it might tend to move around and center itself better in the pads and on the carrier and free up the wheel a bit. FWIW my front wheel doesnt spin for shit either but there isnt anything wrong with it.

16. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

also, be sure your brake fluid is not above the fill line. Too full can also cause issues.

17. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

I seem to remember TDub saying that on the older 600rr's the rotors were somewhat offset on each side and if you had the front wheel mounted backwards you would have a lot of brake drag. May not be that at all but worth checking you have the rotation correct.

18. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

Look at the condition of your brake pads... Are they wearing more on the leading edge than the trailing edge???

Once this condition starts it gets worse and worse until you replace the pads...

Bouncing the suspension a few times before torquing the axle bolt helps a lot... Then, torque down the fork/axle pinch bolts...

I had issues with my GSXR front end... Then I switch rotors to full floater rotors... They were noisy... But they would spin like 7-8 full turns!!!

:D Luis

19. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

do you aftermarket levers? I've seem guys have the pin cocked a little on the lever and preload the brakes

20. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Stop using EBC brake pads :Poke:

Try Carbon Lorraines or Vesrahs. Pricey but worth every penny!

If you're not using EBC's then give everything else a try that is stated above.
    If you are using EBC's... don't ask me why but on certain bikes they drag and drag bad!!! My F3 was doing the same thing. I spent better part of a year chasing what I thought was misalignment of of wheel, axle, brake calipers. Also tried disassembling the calipers and cleaning with new seals, multiple brake fluid changes (with Motul), etc, etc, etc. Stickboy finally sold me a set of Carbon Lorraines. When trying to spin the front wheel (hard spin at that) I went from less than half rotation before quickly stopping to 2 to 2.5 turns on a moderate spin. Usually a bit more when I come off the track hot.

I can't answer it. All I know is I love my CL's now and can only imagine the horsepower loss when I ran the EBC's last year. As for clutch, I'm really happy with EBC Kevlar clutch but that's a different story for a different time.