1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake break-in

Discussion in 'General' started by bdomenz, Jan 24, 2001.

1. bdomenz

bdomenz Well-Known Member

installed new ebc-hh pads on my fzr400.

i've heard (somewhat) conflicting opinions on how to best break them in.

what is the best way?

2. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

I've heard different things from different people as well. But the common thing everyone will tell you is to avoid overheating your new pads, as it would cause them to glaze. I've found that a few easy laps in practice (more, depending on pads) with light braking usually will work okay. But wait for expert opinions on this: I could be way off.

3. schwantzmobile

schwantzmobile Byron Tucker #80 expert?

Here's mine: kind of a mixture of what ebc sez and my inability to follow directions to the letter.
    Best to brake in new pads with old rotors, or new rotors with old pads.
    1. ride around pits and do about 30 brakings from 10-20 mph use smooth /medium pressure(this puts pad material on the discs.
    2. next do 1 or 2(no more) laps of practise using heavy braking, allowing for a little time inbetween for brakes to cool (like run down the straightaway off the racing line) and do 10-20 big pulls...pull into the hot pit, turn off the bike and smoke a "ciggy", let the brakes completely cool down.(so they don't glaze)
    3. go race.

#545 Keith Palmer

Why don't you call Garry Gallagher (425-486-1244), EBC Motorcycle Roadrace Rep. & Technical Support, tell him your rotor brand, material of construction and age, and have him tell ya...

Odds are, if you follow another racer's "personalized" procedure - they'll bed fine. However, if your pads glaze, your rotors score and warp, etc., (oh- and it HAS happened!) you'll be pissed (at us) and have little recourse...

Give the board the details once you talk to EBC and let us know if their verbally recommended procedure differs any from that included with the pads (and if so, why it differs).

5. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

The Shwantzmobile had most of it right.

1-Ride around at pit speed and do about 20-30 little stops. Let cool.

2-Go out and do about 5 laps at race speed using the brakes like normal. Come in and let cool.

3-You are ready to rock.

Note this info was taken from Gary Gallagher. [​IMG]

6. wera122

wera122 Guest

Those things don't go fast enough to need brakes. Just ask slow boy Tracee. [​IMG]

7. Tracee Polcin

You really don't use them that much. But the EBC's are the ticket though.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I am NOT suggesting one product over another but I do know from when Brian rode them that Vesrah's do not require any special procedure for break in. He felt they worked as good as the HH's but not quite the same initial bite - they also didn't do anything to the rotors and lasted flat out forever.

Mark or Nancy you out there? Am I off base on this one?

9. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Here's your brake pad break-in solution:
    BUY VESRAH PADS!!!!!

No break-in - just slap them on and race. The pads are amazing and they last a long time without any decrease in performance.

10. MARRC11

MARRC11 Well-Known Member

In a RRW article Sam Fleming and AOD did an article on brake pads (that sparked a little controversy - typical RRW). The Vesrah got relatively low marks for performance but was offset by its wear characteristics and low price. Almost the last sentence in the article was that if he was buying pads for his STREET bike, it would be Vesrah.

The controversy arose from the EBC HH requiring specialized break-in procedures and this didn't sit very well with the Dunlopad guy. He charged that this meant that the tester knew what pads he was testing, resulting in such high marks for EBC.

11. Tracee Polcin

FYI-EBC's last a long time too.

12. nancy junge

nancy junge Vesrah Suzuki

This is mark not nancy. Forgot password

Sean is right about the bed in procedure. We start endurance races on new pads. One pull and there are ready. If fact in the 24 hr we used about 2/3 of the pad during the race so they definately have long life. Half of the riders that rode for us in the 24 hr were E C sponsored and all of them really liked the pads. As far as sprint racing they are the best.

There are a number of big teams using Vesrah pads and sponsored by other companies, even in the 24hr.

The RRW article on the pads, a few years back, was when Vesrah was just starting in the racing market. We have had 3 pad compound updates since.

Guess what pads Fleming and AOD has been using for the last 2 seasons.

I always carry sample pads in the trailer for people to try. Just Ask.

13. schwantzmobile

I really do like the EBC hh/prolite combo, but the pads for me are shot after 4 races.

14. nancy junge

Pads are shot after four races?

And you have to waste practice with that crazy bed in?

15. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Do you mean four weekends or 4 races? If 4 races I think you have a brake system problem. I have seen EBC HH go 15-18 hrs of endurance racing.

16. Tracee Polcin

Does Vesrah make pads for a FZR400?

17. nancy junge

Yes, they have FZR-400 pads. Would you like to try?

18. brian

brian Well-Known Member

hey mark. i have a couple of questions and something i would like to talk to you about. i can't get your email. can you email me? [email protected] thanks

19. schwantzmobile

I mean 4 weekends.