1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake bleeding issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rk97, Sep 15, 2020.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I am very used to drum brakes after several years racing XRs, but if anything, the brakes are biting too hard. Got myself into a bit of trouble early in the day, but no damage done, and i expect the rider who checked up in front of me appreciates that i grabbed too much brake rather than too little.

now to get the suspension sorted. Bike is wallowing through the long turns. ANY minute input of throttle or body position shift feels like a pogo stick.

thinking rear is too stiff, and rebounding too quickly, but i am a Luddite when it comes to
    Suspensions.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what kind of pads?? Never heard of brakes being "too good"...lol

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Some pads have bite, some have power, some have both, and cheap pads have neither. Try diff pads and find what you like.

Its far quicker and cheaper to just pay a suspension pro to sort things for you.

TurboBlew and Boman Forklift like this.
  4. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

You may have mentioned this elsewhere but what kind of shock is on there?

5. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

Truth :crackup:

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Penske. Not sure what model. Never touched it.

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Okay, i took delivery of a Chinese Grom clone, and that master feels better than the brembo.

the brembo worked, but it’s super soft. Something ain’t right.

“good” news is that i have all sorts of stuff to fix before I’ll need brakes again <eyeroll>

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Push fluid in from the calipers. You can't trap air doing it that way.

[​IMG]

Any cheap oil can like that will do. Grab the appropriate size tygon tubing for you bleed screw nipple and a little grease to seal the threads. It's not rocket surgery. Work with nature and not agaisnt it. Air wants to travel up. Let it.

9. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

Have the calipers positioned so that the bleed valve is facing perfectly upwards (either remove calipers or tilt bike if needed)

Bleed MC first, then calipers, then MC again at the end.

A tap when the caliper bleed valve is pointed directly up will help shift the airlock towards the bleed valve.

I also just replaced my MC bleed valve and could see the little bubbles sitting under the valve when I removed it.

What size pistons are in the calipers? the Brembo MC is 16mm right?

JCW likes this.
  10. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Well sh!t, that's the problem right there if that's the case...
    if the piston sizes are anything 32/32 and larger you've just got too small a master for your tastes.

[​IMG]

11. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Now that i broke the R6 master, i will try the GSXR master.

May have a 2007(?) R6 brembo for sale. The plastic elbow is snapped, and i broke the reservoir, but it has a nice shorty lever...

12. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

What calipers are u using?
    What year gsxr master?
    The gsxr master depending on the year came in 11/16" and 3/4". Which are 17.5mm and 19mm.

13. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I'd be up for the R6 master. Need a 16mm master for a project.

Looks like the 11+ GSXR-750 is a 11/16 (17.5mm) master, and the 07 750 is a 3/4 (19mm). Don't remember what year front you had, but that would jive with undersized master making the lever pull longer. Saw something about one of the GSXR masters getting a recall, might want to dig into that.

Edit. Quick google search pulled it right up.
    http://www.suzukicycles.com/~/media/Recalls/2004-2013 GSX-R Master Cylinder Recall Notice.pdf

14. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I always start with bleeding the master, until I build up a little pressure. I dont even bother with the lower caliper bleeders until the top builds. Makes it so much quicker. I also just put a 10" clear tube on the bleeder so it traps fluid in there and doesnt let air in while the bleeder is open. I just did my 2017 R6 with new brake lines and man I was in shock how quickly I was able to get such a great brake lever.

15. Gravisman

Gravisman Well-Known Member

Speed bleeders are the best thing ever. Makes bleeding a two minute job a 5 year old could do.