1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Books worth reading

Discussion in 'General' started by rk97, May 17, 2016.

1. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Doestoevsky . Notes from the underground. A short, not so easy read. The Brothers Karamazov. A long and not easy read.

2. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Whence I lived in San Francisco, my neighbor gave me a book written about his father's experience during the Bataan death march.
    I believe it was called "On wings of Eagles"

Unbelieveable what he went thru. Escaped, and made his way to the shore, swam to a boat which he thought was a safe boat, it wasn't... he was recaptured.

I'd like to have a copy if anyone can find it.
    Dave's father was from Tyler, Texas, last name Kellett.
    I believe it was written by his daughter in-law, after Mr. Kellett died

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Well new to me. Lol

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

"A Few Good Men". Should be mandatory reading for all High School civics classes....as if they still had civics classes. Brings real insights into how this country's constitution was created. Come to think of it, it should be mandatory reading before you can be sworn in to congress.

5. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Tom & Dan podcasts, really? Never heard of them so I gave them a try, basically a morning drive style duo with cursing, plenty of merch sales pitches in between cracking themselves up. I appreciate the head up, I'll now avoid for the rest of my days.

I stick to the occasional book and back issues of the Gun Digest and Shooters Bible annuals.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never got into Cryptonomicon but Snow Crash and his other stuff.

GixxerBlade likes this.
  7. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

For those who like Sci-Fi, I'd recommend the "Zero" series by Sara King.

8. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Tuesday’s with Morrie.

9. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Recently read"Old Man's War" by Scalzi, loved it and have since read book #2 in the series (Ghost Bridgades) and intend to read the remaining 4 books.
    A couple of coworkers have read Andy Weir's (The Martian author) new book "Artemis" and liked it.

ChuckS likes this.
  10. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

All you dog lovers and nobody’s mentioned

Marley and Me

hashtag it’ll make you cry

11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Neil Gaiman...
    American Gods plus a bunch of other stuff. It is all good.

ChuckS and pscook like this.
  12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Also "Ocean at the end of the lane." Very deep and a good read. But Neil Gaiman is a very good writer. "Good Omens" with Terry Pratchett is a fun and fast read. Son of God and stuff like that.

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

Just finished Dan Brown’s Origins

Pretty entertaining, as his others

14. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Tolkien fan and have been told by many to try Game of Thrones and the Wheel of Time cycles. Any opinions here? Relative benefits?

I tried Stephen R. Donaldson and absolutely hated it.

15. The Corporation bt TJ English

16. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

GoT and WoT are both awesome reads. WoT is actually complete so you can read all the way to the end. Only thing is, some of the books in the middle of the series tend to feel like space-makers, a lot of detail but the story doesn't move very much. It took so long that Robert Jordan died before he could finish the series so Brandon Sanderson had to do the last 3 books I think. I'm currently going through the series for the second time and enjoying it all over again. Brandon Sanderson has some really good stuff out as well if you like those sort of stories.

17. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Forgotten Fifteenth

Included therein is the story of 2nd Lt. David R. Kingsley as well as others.

18. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Did Stephen R. Donaldson write the books about the bloke with leprosy who kept drifting off to an alternative world?

19. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

20. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

I was really surprised how much I enjoyed Stephen King's 11-22-63. Long ass book but the best I've read in years.