1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Books worth reading

Discussion in 'General' started by rk97, May 17, 2016.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I'm on vacation next week. In theory, I should have a lot of time to read for pleasure.

Amazon Prime can get me virtually any book on the planet before we leave on Saturday. Suggestions?

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I should also take separate suggestions for decent PodCasts. I'll be doing all the driving, and my 2 yr old wants to hear the same 3 songs over and over again. My wife and sister-in-law will also be in the car, so headphones are going to be a necessity... Especially if I end up driving through the night on the way home.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What do you like to read? Hithchikers Guide trilogy (all 5 of them) is always good. Along the funny english line I've been on a Terry Pratchett kick lately. Just downloaded some Mark Twain last night for the flight Thursday. For really entertaining Florida based look at anything by Tim Dorsey. Bad ass good guy stuff I like the Jack Reacher series (Lee Child is the author).

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

oilslinger likes this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

We rented a house on Hilton Head and I was looking for something to read on the beach. The owner had a few novels by a guy named Robert Crais...looked interesting so I started reading them. Just good old LA detective stuff. I've read all of his books now. Fairly quick reads with a lot of excitement.

http://www.robertcrais.com/novels_order.htm

6. exracer941

exracer941 Well-Known Member

Reacher series is solid. Harry Bosch series. Or The Poet by Michael Connelly.

7. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I have a 2-1/2 hour round trip commute to work every day. Audible has been a game changer. One of my favorite listens was the book "The Martian" which was recently made into the movie with Matt Damon. Their selection is great and easy to sort through by genre, author, narrator, etc.

Paige likes this.
  8. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Thanks for the info!

9. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Anything by Bill Bryson, even his "serious" books about language are excellent. "The Count of Monte Christo", cracking read.

Podcasts - Motopod.

SuddenBraking and caferace like this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

11. Chris

I'm downloading this now on Audible. If it's terrible, I'm holding you personally responsible.

BigBird likes this.
  12. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Definitively would have to second Ready Player One and The Martian. Also World War Z by Max Brooks. The movie shares nothing with the book which is a shame.
    If you're into post apocalyptic type stuff, One Second After by William R Forstchen is great.
    A really good scifi type book that delves into how technology and society might progress while being a good murder mystery novel is Daemon by Daniel Suarez.

Audio books have also changed how i travel. Time seems to fly by when i'm listening to a good book.

I also finally gotten onto the podcast bandwagon but there's a lot of chaff to get to the good stuff.

If you guys got any good podcast recommendations, that would be great.

13. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Did you grow up playing arcade games followed by Atari, Commodore 64, Nintendo etc? If you have any sort of nostalgia towards that time frame of nerds and games you'll love Ready Player One.

Hes got a second one along the same theme, not as good....but good enough.

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

Oryx and Crake - M.Atwood

Or anything by Martin Suter - however, I don't know if they're published in engrish

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's why I won't do them while driving unless it's the middle of nowhere in the plains states.

16. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

...$50 later on Amazon

I ordered Ready Player One, World War Z, and the first 5 game of thrones books (I'm current on the series).

That should definitely last me through vacation, but I'd like to continue reading and cut back on TV. We moved in October, and I'd like to think we'll read on the 'new' deck, rather than watching TV. If it's light outside, I ought to be out there...

BigBird likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hmmmm, Game of Thrones is a thought.

Only thing I hate about reading on the iPad is how easy it is to spend more money on books :D

I wonder how many I have?

18. exracer941

exracer941 Well-Known Member

Check out your local library website. I get all my audiobooks there for free. Just download and transfer to Ipod.

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

James Altucher's podcast is my favorite. He has some really interesting guests.

20. Chris

Absolutely did. I read the description and started downloading immediately.