1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW X5 Diesel

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, May 22, 2020.

1. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

Wife has had a CPO 2014 model for around 3 years now. The thing rocks. No issues at all in the 50k miles she's put on it.

GarrettRick likes this.
  2. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Not sure if you think I was bullshitting or not.. I was going off the MPG meter in the truck so it could be off.. However, its pretty well documented that the newer 6.7's get amazing fuel mileage. I get 17-18mpg driving too and from work through a small city.

Deleting the truck usually doesn't increase the fuel mileage. The tune does. (tunes will reprogram emissions functions) You can keep your emissions stuff and get a package from Calibrated Diesel that will give a big bump in fuel mileage. A buddy of mine has this package and gets 20-21MPG in the city. He just drives it around on the 50hp tune and its a whole different truck. Still has all his emissions and everything. I haven't done much with tuning because my truck was still under warranty. I also worry about rabbit holing myself like I do literally everything in my life... I'll delete the emissions, get a tune, next thing I know I'm getting the trans built, doing a 2nd gen manifold swap, Borg Warner S475, etc.. So I'm trying to leave it alone as long as I can.. I could use that money to try and get faster on motorcycles. lol

Luckily I live in MI so I can delete whatever I want... Owning a vehicle in MI is expensive but at least we don't have to do inspections as well.

For what its worth, the said "rabbit holing" scenario above is another reason why i was really eyeing the Porsche Cayenne diesels.. There isn't much out there performance wise so i'd be more inclined to leave it alone.

There is a bit for the X5 35D though. I guess the 1st gen were better for it, but there are people dickin around with them.

3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

A Buzzken exhaust and a Malone tune is all you need. Maybe throw a bigger turbo on there while you’re at it.

:D

4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I was just piling on. That's what we do here at the beeb! :beer:

Trainwreck likes this.