1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike for 6 year old

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by V5 Racer, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

At 9 yrs old, Nick McFadden was doing sub 1:40 at VIR on an RS125, a :30 second 1/2 mile on a pea gravel track, and the youngest rider to qualify for the SM finale at the Queen Mary in the 12 yr old class. Point being all kids are not the same, nor are their goals, abilities, or desires. Treat each one as an individual with your best judgement. JMO

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

+1

Kris @ 9 Years old.

Attached Files:

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Kris and Nick are both great riders.

I only mentioned it, so he doesn't get discouraged if his child isn't running a 65 at 6 years old, hopefully it didn't come out argumentative.

Ty didn't even start racing until he was 11 and that was on a little Blata pocketbike. Even though he wasn't very big, he looked large on a pocketbike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

No worries for me getting discouraged, this is for fun. If he likes it and wants to go farther with it we will, if not we won't. I only race a 250, he's 1/5 of the way to his old man already. :D

5. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Brought home the 50 yesterday, he loves it. Riding around the yard talking to himself "I got a honda, I got a honda...THREE gears!". Going to try and get the smooth tires (as he calls them) mounted tomorrow at the shop in the AM before I have to work.

And for Cam, he made two laps, then came back, stopped and asked me "Does this bike have a judge?". I told him nope, just your common sense. He laughed like a maniac and rode off. Mom went in the house.

Judge is what he calls a governor, I haven't corrected him yet.

6. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Ha ha ha..... Just wait til he out-rides the bike and you throw a Pro Circuit on it.... he will think he just won the lottery !!!! Love it!

7. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

LOL....That's great. I wish our 8 year old was that excited about his 50. He's more like "mehhh" even with a pipe on it.

8. Bandit730

Bandit730 Racing neophyte

Ha, I feel ya there. My 7 yo isn't really excited about the 50 but keeps asking if the ttr-125 is his. :confused: Of course both bikes loose out to the damn Nintendo DS. :rolleyes:

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Not mine, I mention ride the bikes and he is gone, out the door. He will ride one until he runs out of gas or we make him quit. Our girl is definitely in the "meh" catagory about it.

10. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

All our 8 year old wants to do is either sit on the couch and watch TV or run around the neighborhood playing with other kids.

His best friend however, has a KTM 50 and loves to ride which suprises me why he's so "mehh" about it.

11. fireman343

fireman343 Well-Known Member

My 7yr old didn't really "get into it" until he rode his KLX 110.. His first reply to me after riding it the first time.."I'm not slow anymore dad". Haha
    I've never pushed him into riding, they either come around to it or not..

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I'm with you. Couple of years ago we were watching a 125 GP race and he turns around and says "dad, I'm gonna take that red motorcycle in the basment and beat you." I thought he was talking about my 250, so I laughed at him and said maybe in a few years. He kept on and on, so we went to the basement because he wanted to show me. There was the little electric razor that's in my avatar pic, we had bought that for his sister but she never had any interest in it and I had forgotten all about it. It was approximately 895 degrees outside but he was adamant about riding it, so out we go. Keep in mind the kid can't even ride a bicycle. Went two feet and fell over. Then three feet. Sweat is pouring off of him by now but he continues. Goes 5 feet, then 10, then I'll be hung if he doesn't ride around the front of the house with it and start around the yard. He stays on until the battery is dead and ever since he will drop anything else to go ride a motorcycle. His sister will ride on occasion but is rather ambivalent about it.

13. moke

moke Well-Known Member

My kid who is five years old is still on his P-DUB with training wheels, I'm never inclinded to push him to do something HE doesn't want to do, I feel like, when hes ready he'll be ready when he's ready. Like someone mentioned what's the rush.

I had a funny conversation with Chandler once pertaining to his son he said, "once racing feels like a job to kids it's harder to get them to participate. I'm sure we'd all like to see our son's/daugher's race at some point, I know I would.

A funny thing he had told me was that apparemtly his son thought this whole racing thing would require less practice,...since his last name was Chandler.

14. moke

moke Well-Known Member

Awesome!

Awesome!