1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike for 6 year old

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by V5 Racer, Mar 22, 2012.

1. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Ok, I'm thinking about getting a bike for Conrad to use on pavement instead of the JR50 (saving it for dirt use). What to get? Looking on Ebay there don't seem to be a lot of choices that aren't dirt based. Lots of Chinese stuff, a few blatas that appear to have been beat to snot and...well, that's about it. Where is the secret source?

2. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

CRF50 all day long......once he gets bigger upgrade to a 88 kit, big bars,tall seat, suma set up ect and then when he is done and really moves on you got an awesome wheelie/pit bike that is a blast to ride and they make EVERYTHING for them.......

3. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Yep....CRF50. Got the boy one when he was 5....loves it. Even tries to ride my 88 with big bars once in a while.

4. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

solid advice.

5. campdoc

campdoc New Member

You can never go wrong with a XR-CR 50..:up:

6. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Most of the kids I have worked with started out on stock XR/CRF50's... I still train on a stock 50.... I will try to bring my daughter's to the first race. You would be surprised how fast you can go on a stock 50....

You may know this kid..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYDxu5ybn0I

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Cool. Will start looking around.

Looks like we are only going to be able to be there for Sunday, I have to work on Saturday night.

8. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I have even seen crf50s with nsr bodywork if you want that road race look.

9. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

At age 6 my daughter was practicing on her older brother's 80 when she could get him away from it. Then on her 7th BD she went right to the 80 class per the rules.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  10. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

My boy is doing well to reach the ground on the JR50.

11. Trinity Rx7

Trinity Rx7 Well-Known Member

What about the TTR50? I know there is more out there for the Honda, but I prefer Yamaha. Plus the electric start would be nice.

12. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

One foot, 2 feet, tip toes??? Suspension full height or lowered?

13. blackbird2xx

blackbird2xx Well-Known Member

Here is my friends 50. He can make the bodywork if you want the cafe riding position, and yes it IS carbon fiber. Seems to me to be a great way for a 6 or year old to learn.
    [​IMG]

14. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Very good bike. Reliable. but...... very little support once the kid wants to add stuff....

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Found a CRF50, pick it up this week. Now I can put "smooth tires" on the CRF and leave the "bumpy tires" on the JR.

16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Kris was motoing a KX65 at 6.:D

Seriously if he's already got the basics down a pipey bike like the KX will steepen his learning curve and at that age they learn very quickly.

17. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

... or get him some "boo- boo's"
    start him slow and allow his reaction times to develop.VERY few 6 year olds are ready for a KX65/2 stroke powerband.
    what's the hurry?

18. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

that person would be Stephen at NICECARBON in Nashville.

19. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Both feet, suspension lowered.

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

My son wasn't ready for one that young. He got his KX65 at 9.