1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bicycle trainer question

Discussion in 'General' started by turbodogs02, Nov 20, 2010.

1. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

Ok, I did a search, and re-read through the threads and didn't see the answer to my question....

I just purchased a mag trainer ( I tried the fluids they had for demo, and just liked the mag better)

My question is: do you guys put on a different wheel when using the trainer? I've heard that they can burn through your tires more, so I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to buy a cheap wheel and tire to swap onto the bike when using the trainer.

2. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

I swap out the tire and the skewer, but use the same wheel. Of course, once the weather changes up here, you're pretty much indoors for a few months, so there isn't the need to swap back and forth. Maybe where you are it would be worth getting a wheel to make the swap easier (although changing tires is pretty easy too).

3. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I do because my best rr wheel(light weight AmClassic CR420s) has higher end lighter race tires and a Duraace cassette(largest cogs are titanium). A 2nd string wheel combo saves a ton of wear on these parts. Lighter highend spinning parts offer no benefit on a trainer. Just wearing it out for nothing, basically(assuming you have an option of a 2nd wheel combo).

4. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

well sounds like the cheap wheel/tire combo is the way to go....:up:

5. MCW

MCW Well-Known Member

Continental makes a few trainer tires that you may want to check out, Ive found they are quieter and slip less so less heat buildup. They are a good bit stiffer and a real pita to mount. I had to take mine to the LBS for mounting.

6. MellowYellow

MellowYellow Will work for race gear

Highly recomended. I put about 700 miles on my rollers every winter and the Conti trainer tires have lasted me 6 years and show no signs of wear. They are mounted on a super heavy Shimano 105 wheelset for added resistance. Check with the local bike shops as I picked up the wheels for $40 as they were removed from a customer's bike, and the person didn't want them.

7. cowboy600rr

cowboy600rr Well-Known Member

At a minimum, I would get a trainer tire. You'll definitely burn through your tires on the trainer. I think Nashbar actually has one on sale right now.