1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beveling brake pads

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

What's the best way? Vise and angle grinder or file? Tips appreciated.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Which tool do you have? :D

I've never done it but, if I did, I would prolly scribe an identical reference line on each pad to keep the cuts equal.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Skip to 32 minute.....

4. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I was actually only going to do the very edge of the pad so the disc slips in there easier. I use a quick change axle setup.

Either way, it looks simple enough....

5. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I'm never sending anything to Brock's after watching that video.

JBraun likes this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

belt sander with a guide. :)

BigBird likes this.
  7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

[​IMG]

8. sdg

sdg *

Half round medium fine file

G 97 likes this.
  9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I just file the corners. I can’t imagine taking that much material off my front pads. Geezus.

10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I use a bench grinder.

Ducti89 and JBall like this.
  11. sdg

sdg *

You haven't seen the bevels on some of the "performance" car brake pads?! Holy fuck buddy

12. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Dremel

13. Philip Mirgliotta

Philip Mirgliotta Well-Known Member

Will you buy carbon wheels from them?

14. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I've done it using a mill or a steady hand on a bench grinder. Only tip would be to consider wearing a respirator.

15. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Explain

16. fastfreddie

Using a 3' screwdriver to remove a dust seal on a wheel that's laying on its rotor is two reasons in one application. It looks like he put his whole weight on it.
    Third reason? Does anyone really need a third reason after that demonstration? Here's one - get a bench and get off the floor.

If you're doing enough seal removals, wouldn't you buy a seal remover? They're $10.

Besides, if you're looking to remove rolling resistance for drag racing, just yank one of the calipers - easy 50% decrease in front brake drag. Is the guy as smart as he thinks he is, or...?

Shocker, notbostrom and sdg like this.
  17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

:stupid:

sdg likes this.
  18. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Well, since I have a spoon, I'll stir. He did say "how you might do it at home" and removing weight from the front isn't desirable in any way.

I think he dumbs it down for the masses. He did make a "streetable" Bandit the first to go under 8 seconds, so he does know a few things.

turner38 likes this.
  19. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Yeah, he is a extremely intelligent guy. He realizes most of the people watching his stuff are idiots and dumbed it down to yalls level. :D:D:D

Brad likes this.
  20. fastfreddie

30 minutes of him using his mouth, I skipped to the parts where he was using his hands. :D

Brad likes this.