1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to remove a frozen Delta Shower Faucet Setscrew?

Discussion in 'General' started by kz2zx, Nov 24, 2013.

1. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I've got a leaking shower faucet, Delta.

Set screw's stuck, stripped out the 7/64" key in my old Craftsman set.

Short of cutting it off with a bandsaw, what's the best way to get it off? I don't mind replacing the handle with the stem assembly (but would prefer putting new o-rings into the originals).

Thanks!

2. Seeley

Seeley Well-Known Member

left-handed drillbit, very slow speed.

3. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I have had good luck using CLR as a penetrating oil substitute. We have very hard water where I live and the mineral deposits can jam up the works on jest about anything.

4. diamondj

diamondj Well-Known Member

5. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

I always end up using a very special tool called a BFH. It's perfect for these type of jobs requiring a delicate touch.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

This. :up:

Make sure the water is turned off, though. :D

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Whatever dude. Leaving the water on is when the fun starts.

8. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

knock-er-loose penetrating oil for an hour or so, then a left hand drill bit, then an easy-out if that fails.

9. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Better than any penetrating oil ever sold: Mix acetone and Automatic Transmission fluid 50-50 in a spray bottle. Rubber-band a plastic bag around the faucet handle and spray with the penetrant mix. Wait 4 hours.

Find a TORX bit the right size to bang into the deformed hex opening.

Heat the screw and surrounding area with a heat gun. Gentle.

Unscrew the set screw very gently. Just apply torque and keep increasing very slowly.

I've taken out a LOT of rusted/frozen screws this way. I just wish people would bring them to me BEFORE they beat them, drill them, break off an EZ Out in them, etc.

Evill Ed likes this.
  10. 1dwn5up

1dwn5up Well-Known Member

Always thought they were metric sizes.

11. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Shouldn't this be in the Tech section?? :)

12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Notch with metal cutoff wheel until you can remove it

13. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

:stupid:

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Same as removing anything else that's stuck...small explosives.

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'm saving this:up:

16. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Finally got to it again today, after using Liquid Wrench - my wife had some better use for the gallon can of Acetone that I keep in the garage (along with about 20 cans of stripper, thinner, reducer, hardener, yadda) than I do, so I couldn't try the ATF and Acetone mix.

I got the screw out using a LH drill bit (Harbor Freight), then it took an hour to get the handle over the setscrew deformation mark. THEN I got to fix the leaky faucet.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

17. Scubadoo_YYC

Scubadoo_YYC New Member

For a Delta Monitor 1400, try a 3/16" left-hand drill bit. The drill bit will be long enough to clear the handle and the bit OD will be small enough that it won't damage the threads in the setscrew hole. With the drill in reverse (the cutting direction for LH drill bits), use short, slow speed burts and check regularly to see if the setscrew has loosened. Be careful not to drill through the brass stem on the cartridge. This worked for me and the handle and setscrew were reusable. Also, for leaking at the spout, consider replacing the seats and springs in the cartridge instead of the whole cartridge. This could save you lots of money.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

what did you search to help on a 9 year old post :eek:

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Good timing. I'd guess that shower valve is due to be replaced again.

Rene Bucek and BigBird like this.
  20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If I had to guess, with the triangle talk in the MotoA thread that the google bots picked up on the trend and some enterprising AI spammers managed to slip one past the goalie while he was polishing his LAX bawls…