1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best SuperMoto Bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by JTW, Jan 12, 2015.

1. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

The best 'from the factory' supermoto were the 09-10 Husqvarna SM 450-510s. Came with the proper forks, brakes and geometry. Street legal too.

KTM did make some nice factory supermotos, but were a bit rare in the US. I believe they had some recent street legal ones as well, but not in the US.

I just sold a 2015 KTM 500 EXC. That thing was TINY for a full size bike, and the motor pulled like a raped ape. My goal was to turn it into a full supermoto, but needed the cash for other things. That would have been top dog in today's supermoto world; but needed about $4000 in parts to make it sing (wheels, tires, brakes, tripples, suspension work, etc)

In my humble opinion, you don't need more than a 250/300 on most supermoto tracks. My old Husky 450 never got out of 2nd gear on BeaverRun's cart track. Just too tight to really get the max power out of them.

Street is a different story, and most road courses can kill the life of the rod/crank.

2. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Anybody have experience with the KTM 450 SMR?

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

4. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

one of our buddies has one of these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KTM Factory Works Supermoto. he said its one of the most retarded things to ride ever. i think the service intervals are nuts as shit too. i wanna ride it tho real bad.

5. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

I had a 05 KTM 450 SMR. proper bike.

6. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Yes they are great bike right out of the box.

7. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I want a supermoto but not an actual supermoto; I'm not going racing. I just want the look.

Been looking around, and it seems that my options are:

drz400sm
    converted 250 dual sport
    honda 450l or similar
    ktm/husky 690/701

As stated I don't want the bigger bikes.

The DRZ is more than I want. This bike will be used to dodge potholes on surface streets in Atlanta. I want to twist the throttle like I did on my ESS bike and not get into trouble. The bike will be a tarted up commuter.

Ideally I'd get a 250 dual sport sold in supermoto trim, kind of like the 09-10 Kawi KLX250SF was. Can't find one of those older kawis near me. Is there soemthing I'm missing?

Right now it looks like an EFI KLX250, wheels, tires is gonna be close to a DRZ400SM. Would be silly not to buy the Suzuki...

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The correct answer is always Hypermotard 1100 :)

ScottyRock155 and Phl218 like this.
  9. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Dont get the Kawi.

Look for maybe a wr250x. F.i. and 6speed. Tons of fun.

pscook likes this.
  10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I've got a 2004 WR250F and a Husky TE511. Both plated and both with two sets of wheels - knobbies and street tires (the Husky actually has a third set of wheels as well). I'd let either of them go as I can barely find time to ride these days.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

meh... the DRZ is kind of meh. I would go for a XR650L before that. Same weight class.

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

What's your location and what are looking at for the WR250?

13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

The DRZ is long and heavy. A WR250X will beat up the DRZ on anything not flat out. The DRZ would be a good 50MPH+ bike, but the WR250X can do freeway if your butt can handle it. Here's a decent thread on ADVrider comparing the WR and the DRZ:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/yamaha-wr250x-vs-suzuki-drz400sm.568685/

14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Philadelphia, and didn’t have a price in mind but open to offers.

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Hm, 3,000 miles away tends to put a damper on these ideas. Plus the "not enough room as it is" situation. I'll send you a PM if my brain submits to my heart.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  16. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

CB300R, you’ll thank me later

17. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

How long has the Yamaha been FI?

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

WR since 2012ish. Round here good luck finding one that new used. People don't sell WRs until they're at least 15 years old.

19. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

We've got a WR250X. Had to have one after riding one of my buddy's extensively. Nothing shared with the off-road WR, but mostly the same as dual-sport WR250F, aside from wheels, frame color, etc. Designed and built from ground up as a dual-sport bike. Great bike stock. If you need more power, I'd look for something with more cc's. Plan to put an aftermarket seat on it, though, for longer rides.

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Britt likes this.