1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best SuperMoto Bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by JTW, Jan 12, 2015.

1. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

If one was looking to buy or build a SM bike to go have some fun on, what would you recommend and why? Does not need to be street legal.

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

"Best" is subjective. So many different options with tradeoffs on speed, price, durability, maintenance requirements, parts availability, ability to street title, etc. etc. etc.

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Real for REAL Supermoto Racing or just Road? Lots of Variables there...

4. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

For street and fun WR450F....Love mine and not to much to get them plated also

SGVRider likes this.
  5. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Husky FS450 looks pretty cool

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

For just trackdays/ racing the yamaha yz450f is hard to beat! the older ones are dead reliable. and the new ones are fast as shit and reliable. lots of them share wheels also, until the 09 on the rear and 14 for the front. incase you wanted used wheels. they all use the same brakes also. and with the yamaha you don't have the narrow swingarm like the kawi or the transmission like the rmz has issues with.
    my second choice would be KTM but the would be 2011 and newer for those. the ktms have great engines but they keep improving the frame and suspension each year really so the newer the better. the brakes and wheels swap for the most part too. and they do have electric start which is nice!

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  7. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Doubt we'll ever get it in the US....but isn't the KTM essentially the same bike?

8. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

KTM set up from the factory, hydrolic clutch, electric start, fuel injection. really good bikes.

Yamaha/Honda if you're building it yourself. Noles made the case for the yamaha, my case for the honda is the same, wheels swap from 02-13 (14-15 had a different width swing arm) bikes are pretty solid with aftermarket support and parts on the evilbay.

If i had to choose again, I'd go with the KTM purely for the electric start.

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I have been very happy with my Husky SMR450. Dead nuts reliable, easy to work on and pretty quick. Not as fast as a priller but it can hold its own. I have over 9,000 miles on mine, lots of track time so it's not babied. I changed the piston and rings at 6,800 but they didn't need it. They looked really good but since I had already bought the stuff and had the thing apart I changed them. Electric start too. It was built as a SM so no need to do anything like change wheels or brakes like most dirtbikes.

10. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

ktm 690smc best all around sumo street/roadracetrack

11. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

trackdays and possible racing. no road stuff.

12. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

any specific model of KTM?

13. noles19

450f is the most common. the newer 350s are nice too. are you looking at new bikes or used?

14. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Cr500?

Phl218 likes this.
  15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I would say any Modern 450... I had a SXV and loved it...however not nearly as reliable as a 450.. Get a thumper..:up: especially if it's going to be on dirt a little...

16. joec

joec brace yourself

tm racing

yum!

17. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

either but I prefer used.

18. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

yeah tried that once...had to go change the shorts afterwards :D

19. noles19

I'd look for a 2011 or newer 450f. The engine and frame are great, the weak point on the ktms was the suspension. But you'll end up having that worked on for supermoto anyway. I think all KTM wheels are the same from 01-2013 but you'll have to verify that. I would look for a 2013 or so if I was looking used.
    By the way Where are you from ?

20. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

thanks for the info. I currently live in Guadalajara MX but have my bike in Portland. There is a SM track down here and am thinking of going and having some fun.