1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best starter bike class and machinery

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Alright, before I RTFRB, I would like some thoughts.

I have a very fast Flat Track kid who I would like to take Road Racing.

He's only dabbled on minis, and supermoto but has amazing talent.

For WERA Specifically, and potentially MotoAmerica Jr Cup, I am thinking Ninja 400.

How are grid sizes for WERA on a 400? Yes I know I can look at results, but in general, what are the biggest classes he can run with the most riders? Should I start him on a 300 if there are more racers competing?

I started on an SV, then jumped into 600's but we are talking 20 years ago and I know shit changes always.

I just don't want to buy/build a bike for 3 riders in 300-400 class when I can start him on a Yamaha fz or Suzuki SV.

Prefer to start him on something smaller and cheaper to get sorted and if he progresses, then move him up.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How old is he?

3. Robby-Bobby

15-16 ish I think. LOL He's going for the Horizon Award this year in Flat Track.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Someone can correct me but the minimum age to race WERA is 18 unless you file a notarized parental consent form and then it’s 14 or 15?

then, you are limited to 600cc or below?

so, going from that I’d figure Ninja 400 is your ticket.

5. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

At that age I'd recommend a SV because competition is more available in WERA.

I put the kids on Ninja 400's simply because I had dimming asperations of a MotoA run. But you really need to be careful on what model year you purchase because of the transmission gremlins. The reginal WERA 400 grids seem a bit light. However the best competition we ran into was the GNF. Because of the combined classes the grids were very healthy and there was always a bike ahead to chase.

I just read the rule book today and appears WERA is permitting slight mods to the R3 to make them more competitive. If I had to do it over I'd probably go the R3 route for club racing. Bike just seems a bit more nimble.

This is an example of the GNF 400 grid. Its a bit larger because Experts and Novice are combined. If memory serves Hayden was 3rd as a Novice in this race. Plus this is a good yard stick of were your times need to be for a club level .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  6. FastByKids

Riders 10 years old are restricted to F/E/D/Clubman class machines. Riders 12 & 13 years old are restricted to 650cc/LW Twins machines. Riders 14 & 15 years old are limited to “C” class machinery. Riders 16 and older are allowed to run any WERA legal machinery. These limits may be changed at WERA’s discretion on a case by case basis.

Nathey likes this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No need to get hot about it, junior! :D

but there you go, them’s the rules. :)

FastByKids likes this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think he was saying "move aside, you retired years before Robbie Bobby started!" :D

G 97 and FastByKids like this.
  9. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

If he has the body mass to work with a LTW, skip the little bikes

Sabre699 likes this.
  10. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

We run R3s since CCS is limited to 300s until 14 and the boy can run 3 classes competetively. If he's 15-16 and talented just put him on an R6.

11. Robby-Bobby

Thinking due to his size, we gonna go the twins route. What does everyone suggest for schooling? LOL I am showing my age, but I took Bargy before a WERA weekend. Is that still a thing?

baconologist likes this.
  12. G 97

G 97 Garth

Ouch. Sorry Dave. :crackup:

13. FastByKids

Going to throw the kid in the fire? Not even a track day beforehand? :D

Bargy was my instructor back in the day at Lil Tally! Not sure he is around.

I'd highly recommend this guy. (Yea, I forgot his name, was a crazy weekend) My school was a sink or swim, but he truly had his act together. Him and the other instructors were constantly in my pits lining out the kids and correcting race lines etc. They were even made to help out with the grids! My little guy disappeared for awhile then when I located him he was actually flagging races.

Only draw back is I'm not sure he travels further than Willow Springs! :crackup:

[​IMG]

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Eric Anderson. Really great guy.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

why? I was looking to see when I started with motorcycles (after being too small to win in BMX) and it was scary. I think I went through Code’s school in one of the first years it was existence (the gpz 550 years). I got lucky and my dad met Mike Baldwin and did a thing with him before he retired and started his school (which I did a few times on the Island). He wasn’t as brutal as KR Senior was but he tell me I was too small to ride a hurricane worth a shit so, I got “forced” to ride one is his RS250 and even got to try an RS500 (before the ama killed formula 1). :D

I’m old but I am soooooo good looking. :crackup:

G 97, joec, motion and 1 other person like this.
  16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow how cool to get to ride both those 2 strokes.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I need to scan the photo I found of my GS750 superbike and me. I remember the bike being sano as f@ck and my being cooler than Eskimo tits. Neither was true. The bike is uglier than a Soviet tank and I look like a young iggy pop without his cool. :D I was like 15 and wearing magnum shorts and a Camel smokes hat. :D f@ck you nanny culture.

Gino230 likes this.
  18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I started racing on my CB400F, it was a current model. Summit Point with no riders school. Just grid up and race. That's the way it was and the way it should be.

Robby,
    Go with a twin.

19. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Bargy is good base and gets him on track quick for the real lessons chasing Parish around.

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Flat tracker? He needs a bike that can throttle steer. :D