1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Racing Chain/Sprockets

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Trevor636, Nov 4, 2017.

1. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

RK 520 and Vortex Hardened Sprockets and Sprocket Specialties on my GSXR 1000 and same chain and JT steels on the 2 TLR's....

2. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I thought the Superlite steel sprockets had issues with breaking apart.

Odilup likes this.
  3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I saw one at Barber tore apart to the Cush drive... Chain locked up the rear wheel on a 2015 R1 going into 1.. Dude was lucky...

4. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

See now you guys done fucked up my standard. Now I have to research again...haha.

5. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Yea. Think they are formally AFAM USA. The sprockets look just like the AFAM ones that are sold.

I think I am going to try Driven.

6. zfrilly

zfrilly Active Member

I ran an ERV3 chain with vortex sprockets for a year of racing including a 4 hour endurance race on a 929 with 150hp ish and 60 ftlbs and no issues. Last year I ran a brand new setup on a 600rr, lots less hp tq. After two weekends the Ek 3dgp chain has kinks in it and had completely trashed an aluminum superlight sprocket. In a pinch for the last race I swapped to a different geared brand new superlight aluminum sprocket and trashed it in one race. Not sure if crappy sprockets made the chain go (crazy) or the 3d chain was just a pos. I will never use that combo again. DID ERV3 for everything. I personally have been using Vortex sprockets for a few years with no issues to speak of. I time them out before I wear them out. A season on a set seems pretty good.

7. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I had a tooth break on a Vortex front sprocket and chain (cant remember the chain) on a GSXR 1000, Putnam T3/4.

Don't know if the chain broke lst which broke the tooth, or the tooth broke and then the chain.

Luckily, it only busted the sprocket cover and one of the sprocket cover mounts at the case. But case was fine.

8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Superlites break? Crap, guess its a good thing I've only used them on my F4i so far. 95whp ain't breaking anything.

9. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Yea... I guess some vendors stopped selling them to high hp liter bike guys.

10. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

Another vote for an ERV3. Been running them for a long time with no issues. Most of my sprockets are vortex because I stocked up with contingency. Standard aluminum seem to wear fairly quick, so I’d recommend the hardcoated aluminum. I’ve had good luck with Pitbull too.

11. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Yes, ran pitbull and driven aluminum on my zx10 and never have issues. DID ERV3 chain too.
    No crazy mileage from me though.

12. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

Vortex and Superlite are garbage. Renthal FTW.

13. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I got in a steel Driven 520 45 tooth sprocket to try and compared to my aluminium 45 tooth Renthal and it weighed 1 lb more.
    I am sticking with the Renthal. 1 lb is too much weigh to add to rotating mass.

14. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Did a little bit more research and OEM steel weighs the same as 520 Driven steel.

Found a pic on the Gixxer forum of AFAM 520 steel and it comes in only 50 grams (.1 lbs) heaver than the aluminium Renthal.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    TurboBlew and Steeltoe like this.
  15. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

What does everyone think of Supersprox?

I think the best chain are the EK threeD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I have a Supersprox 520 on my 750, and when I did the swap the Supersprox actually felt heavier than my stock 525 sprocket....it was a tooth bigger but still I was surprised. I have that and ERV3.

17. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I just ordered a really nice set of blue chain and sprockets- for $49.99- I think they're made in China.
    You think those will be OK?

April fools

I actually just ordered a set of 520 RK Max chain and Driven sprockets from MotoMummy for my K5 LiterBike.
    I did get the rear sprocket in Blue though.
    I'm will also be running a 190/55 Q3+ rear,
    So I got a -1 front, +1 rear.
    The 55 profile makes it almost like a -1 rear sprocket, to the +1 puts it back to stock ratio, then of course I did also get a front/countersprocket -1, with a speedo healer to put the mileage back to normal, it is a street bike.

18. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Are you all talking about the renthal superlite sprockets??

19. jesse v

jesse v Well-Known Member

Does anybody run the D.I.D. VX2 chain?

I'm finally moving to a 520 pitch for my 4th season of racing and chose this one for my SV650. I'm sure the ERV3 is better but the price scared me away.

20. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

You can find the ERV3 relatively cheap on eBay. I paid $125 for mine from MX Galaxy something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk