1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Oscillating tool/kit recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by zx6rfool, May 28, 2020.

1. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

I think Festool did a huge marketing infomercial campaign to try and sell to anyone but professionals.

My first Fein oscillating tool we would simply call “the Heat”. That thing was light years ahead of anyone else 10 years ago.

2. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Festool rebadges a Fein and adds $200 to the price.

The Feins are probably still the best, but in reality, very few people will notice the difference. Yeah, it'll run smoother w/ less vibration, but get whichever cordless system you're already in.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    joec likes this.
  3. joec

joec brace yourself

They had that vacuum.... Even for us shop guys they were a niche manufacturer..I remember the first time I got my hands on one if those routers. Nice. But not with the extra pesos for some company we had never heard of. We were still holding on to our Porter Cable stuff til death. Man thier stuff has gone down hill.. It is good to know fein is still around. That flush saw was the bomb. I haven't seen one in years.

4. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Simple...It just doesn’t last the way a Milwaukee or Makita tool will...

Not to say Ryobj won’t work for a homeowner...depends on your needs...

I use tools on a daily basis, so I will spend the money on the upgrade...

If Ryobi works for you great...just wont last for my needs is all...

5. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

i bought dewalt cuz i already had batteries and other tools. it works just fine, i used it to remove grout when tearing some tiling. I also picked up an attachment that will cut out a perfectly sized square hole for low voltage mud ring or whatever single gang box. havent used it yet but it looks cool!

on the side you can purchase Chinese fakey dewalt batteries online for 1/2 to 1/3 the price. ive got a few and so far no complaints.

Quicktoy likes this.
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I killed the Porter Cable one I bought at Lowes. Replaced it with a Rockwell corded. Works fine.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Holler at me if you get a milwaukee M18 one in. Im interested.

Also an M18 1/2 impact.

thanks,

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I have both and have zero regrets. Also have the 18V blower which is badass too.

ChemGuy likes this.
  9. ChemGuy

Yeah. Ive been very pleased with my M18 and Fuel M18 stuff. Now adding tools as i can find them.

10. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

11. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

Been using cordless Dewalt for 10+ years and I really like there stuff. Had the oscillating tool for 4 years and it’s still going strong.

remodeling contractor.

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Tell me about the blower. I've been wanting to get one because I have two M18 tools (hence two batteries), but I've read that the blower only lasts about 15 minutes with the M18 battery. Do you find this to be true?

13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

It is if the battery’s married.

14. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

The one big thing I cannot stand about where I’m at now , is all the festool crap. I have routers from the 70’s that I still use and abuse that are far better than the festools. With older B&D or Porter Cable tools you were getting shit done..........Festool to me, is Harry homeowner with lots of money to spend but nothing to build that needs getting done with no deadline.

joec likes this.
  15. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yes, luckily my bosses are smart enough to stick with Fein for the oscillating tools.

rd400racer likes this.
  16. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

I will say this with
    Please think 10 times before buying a Chinese knockoff battery. I have first hand experience of it blowing up and setting a fire in my garage. Those aftermarket batteries do not come with thermal overload protectors.

Thankfully, I was in my garage at the time this happened. I had one of those batteries in my Makita charger when I heard a popping/ fizzing sound. I looked over and the battery was smoking. I went over and tried to see what was happening when it exploded close to my face. It knocked me to the floor. It then began to shoot pressurized flames out of it. I was able to grab the cord and throw it out the garage door into the driveway just before several more explosions happened.

If I were not in the garage at the time, I guarantee my home would have burned to the ground.

I will never ever buy non-factory replacement batteries at this point.

17. ck.mecha

ck.mecha Well-Known Member

Yes, with the small 2-3Ah batteries that come with the drill or driver tool the blower will only last about 10 minutes on "rabbit" speed. I have a couple of 8Ah batteries and I can get about an hour off each, longer if in "turtle" mode.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

rd400racer likes this.
  18. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Yes that is true. I have 5.0AH batteries. They go on sale for $99 @ HD . I have 3 of them and they are great. If I was in the landscape business they would not be the ticket due to run time, but 15minutes is alot of blowing around the house.

rd400racer likes this.
  19. ChemGuy

Thats what she said....:D

And I dont buy individual batteries...buy a tool with a battery...on sales....and get a tool for maybe a few dollars more than a battery alone.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

My old 4.0ah give me 5 mins or so of hammer down, my 5.0’s stretch it to 10-15, and my 9.0ah gets half an hour + of regulated use.

Two batteries should more than suffice for your average use. Who is holding it WFO for 10 minutes anyways?

rd400racer likes this.