1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Chain Breaker/Riveting Kit?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Zippy1, Sep 4, 2010.

?

Which Kit Do You Prefer?

1. Motion Pro

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. DID

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. EK

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. RK

24 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. Pit Posse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Stockton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. DIY

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

In the market and leaning towards the Motion Pro. For now, it would be used primarily on DID 520 chains.

2. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

For serious use the standard Motion Pro is weak and will break. Go with the Motion Pro Jumbo.

I used a friends before purchasing my own that was equally heavy duty either an EK or RK branded unit.

It's a tool and follows normal guidelines: If it looks weak it will be, if it is cheap to buy it will be expensive cause you will have to buy proper tool later.

3. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I bought this one after my dealer didn't have the one I wanted. Sure glad he didn't have the other. This RK is robust, works great, and comes with case.

RK UCT4060

Attached Files:

Triple X likes this.
  4. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

Shawn i like the motion pro

5. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

Same here, I usually replace the flare pin every 10-15 chains.

6. Redbird

Redbird Well-Known Member

+1 on the RK kit. Changed a lot of chains with mine, still in the original pin.

Triple X likes this.
  7. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I have had the same Motion Pro for about 6 years. I will dremel the rivet before I push it out. I let someone borrow it once and it came back broke. :(

8. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Same here....

9. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

+1 on the Motion Pro. I was in a pinch and it was the only one available. Hasn't failed me thus far.

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Have BOTH the motion pro and RK rivit kit. Motion pro.. garbage IMHO. Hate it. Hate everything about it.. it's the kit i loan out at the track.
    RK kit has a nice handle, not a thin thing that moves about, just a more solid tool that works better. Again, motion pro has some decent stuff, but for the same price the RK kit is WAY better.

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Whale Chain tool. Best by far. Google it. I had to get mine from England.

12. Aktion

Aktion Active Member

+1

13. bella749

bella749 Well-Known Member

I do couple chains a year with a Motion Pro tool; it gets the job done, but be sure to drill/grind the rivets before using it. Unless you find a Motion Pro cheap, get a DID, RK or heavy duty tool; worth the extra $$ invested.

14. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

My DID has not let me down and have done lot's of chains with it. I also have motion pro jumbo and on my second pin with it.

15. piper907

piper907 Well-Known Member

The Motion Pro JUMBO tool is the one I prefer.

16. henrytwin

henrytwin Well-Known Member

It seems the only way to keep the motion pro from breaking is to use another tool on the chain before using the actual chain tool. Save yourself some space in the tool box and get the RK. It's not going to let you down as a few people have already mentioned about the motion pro.

17. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I believe by grinding the head of the rivet off before removing the link, you dont damage the roller as you push the pin thru. JMO So I actually only use the tool just to install the new master, when I do use a rivet link. Tdub

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i have always ground the heads off the links prior to using a chain tool, the pins in the motion pro kit are just plain junk. Ordered 3 pins at one point, when i got down to the last pin i said "fu-k this thing.. will keep as a spare kit". Got the RK a couple years back, no issues, and easier to use, easier handle doesn't hurt the hands, etc.

19. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

We added the RK to our tool box 2 years ago (after going through a few of the Motion Pro pins). Definitely thought the RK was the best until we used the DID KM500 this spring. Both tools now go to the track with us, but the DID is normally used.

zstylem86 likes this.
  20. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

RM totally let the "cat-outta-the-bag". The Whale tool kicks the other tools asses like no other. Worth the money and the wait. Mine survived 3 years in the AMA and another 7 since then. I need to buy a spare just in case it does ever break. Thanks for the reminder.