1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 120/180 touring tire.....

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, May 18, 2020.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

My Dad is looking for a good replacement tire for his BMW touring bike. He is not getting very good durability out of the Michelins that are on it (not sure the model).

Full disclosure........90% of the mileage will be here in Florida, so I've pre-warned him that just about EVERY tire is going to wear like garbage, but it would be nice if he could maximize tire life.

Any hands-down winners currently out there?

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

ducnut likes this.
  3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Car tire?

:Pop:

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

As already mentioned, you need to be looking at only the 120/180 combos that offer a heavier capacity option that is specifically made for these heavier touring bikes. They’re a heavier carcass and more durable compounds.

The Pirellis mentioned should do better than Michelin’s offerings, just from what I’ve seen.

5. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

As mentioned above...for a heavier touring (or sport touring) bike you need the GT versions or the spec tire to get the best performance out of them.

6. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

ooooooooo....the dark side! LOL Talk about a polarizing subject. I'd have to seriously consider it if I lived in FL or only did interstate riding.

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Tried the Angel GT on my GSXS1K- it lasted good, but the carcass/compound on the rear was a bit too stiff for that bike, Should work well on an RT or other heavier ST bike as suggested above. Got a set of the Angel ST's, only mounted the front so far (still some life left in the GT). Did 300 miles yesterday on it and it felt good if a little too pointy of a profile (tipped in a bit abruptly for my liking).

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

FYI
    Angel ST was the first version
    Angel GT was the second version
    Angel GT II is the latest version

9. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

For kicks, what mileage is he getting with the Michelins versus what he is expecting?

10. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Arai doesn't make tires. You're input is null.

Yama-saurus likes this.
  11. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Angel GT's are excellent tires, with much better life for me than the Michelin equivalents. Excellent grip, wet and dry. The GT2's are really good too, but the new siping pattern does cause some weird squirminess when riding on grooved surfaces. I think the old profile (GT) looks more aggressive too. The Michelin Road 5's were terrible for me in the wet, so I'd avoid.

ducnut likes this.
  12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

[​IMG]

13. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I'd have to check with him, and I'll note what model Michelins he's currently running.

FYI, he's 80 years old..........so we don't need to balance sport performance in the equation, Florida roads notwithstanding. He just needs something that is going to last a bit longer for his 2009 BMW R1200 RT.