1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belly Pan for RD

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by grasshopper, May 15, 2017.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

What do you guys think about Grandmas baking pan? Mount this puppy under there with a few aluminum brackets?

The nice thing is that the pan is more than likely era correct with the bike. The Bike is a 74. The pan might be a bit older but close.

It’s a challenge to mount anything under the RD because of the stock pipes and the way they are ran along the frame rails. Might have to trim the pan a little bit.

Thought?

upload_2017-5-15_11-26-13.png

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Too much work. I buy the $1 smallish aluminum turkey pans for my RD. Take exhaust off, slide up pan, install exhaust. Done. Mines a 76 400 but it should still work.

I actually found a picture of my installation. My bad...I didn't realize that I spared no expense and actually doubled up the pans. Nothing but first class here:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    VFR#52 likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And as I said in my emails - the aluminum pan is closer to the engine where it need to be to do any good.

VFR#52 likes this.
  4. grasshopper

Used a baking pad from the dollar store. Hose clamped it in four spots to the frame between the pipes and glued some oil absorbent pad to the bottom of it and painted it black. I think we're good on that. Safety wired the oil drain plug, all exhaust mounts, axles and calipers.

upload_2017-5-18_9-19-29.png

upload_2017-5-18_9-19-52.png

upload_2017-5-18_9-20-10.png

upload_2017-5-18_9-22-42.png

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Is that thing coming to Cycle Jam?

6. grasshopper

No I'm aiming for Mid Ohio.

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Be aware that those types of clamps tend to crack and break along the slots. You might want to use zip ties or safety wire as a secondary attachment. Or get the hose clamps that don't have the slots.

ringdingding likes this.
  8. grasshopper

Roger that. Thanks

9. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

I use the exact, or similar, pan on my RD 350. Wire ties and safety wire work.

Man, I didn't know you were running stock pipes. I have got to make it to Mid O some how. Two superior stock pipe clad RD's would be cool.

10. grasshopper

Do you have cylinder head temp gauges on yours?

11. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

No, its all stock, they are faster that way.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  12. boogiesg

boogiesg Well-Known Member

I use the 13x9x2 inch pan that looks pretty similar to that on the Yamaha above, but I don't have engine cradles. I drill a few holes in the "lip or handle" or whatever that part of the pan is called. Zip-tie to mount and then heavy-duty-safety-wire to secure. I like this mounting method because I can cut them off quickly and dump the water out when it rains. If I were to replace it with fiberglass, I would want it exactly the same shape as the metal pan. It fits that well.
    015_6_7_Balanced resized.jpg