1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bell Star fitment/cheek pad replacement

Discussion in 'General' started by zx6rfool, Jun 25, 2015.

1. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Anyone swap out the pads that come in the helmet?

I found the helmet is a bit too tight. The helmet comes with 50mm thick 'firm' pads, and there are options for 'firm' or 'soft' from 35mm to 50mm in 5mm increments.

Anyone done the swap, were the new pads the exact same as the old, pictures online dont seem to look so, but could just be stock old photos. Did the change in size or going from firm to soft help?

Anyone know if there is a local place I can pick them up?

2. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I swapped mine out to make it a bit tighter. Ordered from Riders Discount. They were exactly the same since I stuck with Firm, just the 5mm thicker.

3. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Im wondering how much lower I should go, and if I should go to the soft. Currently 50mm, how low is too low. Even 5 min in the helmet and my jaw and cheeks hurt, and it kinda forces my teeth apart so Im thinking of going all the way down to the 35mm, but that would be 30mm total and thats more than an inch.

4. BobbyGrand

BobbyGrand Well-Known Member

I have done the same as omatter34 - size medium bell star carbon, wanted a tighter fit so got the firm pads 50mm - makes the fit nice and tight. To me they appear to be the same pads as what comes stock.

5. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Yep. Went thicker (they may have been firmer too). Got them from STG. Fit and look just like OEM because they are OEM. I think Brian had them laying in a box and sent them to me for free with the rest of my order.
    And just another FYI, the Med and Large use the same shell so you could actually swap out the liner to go up or down in size if you needed. That's my understanding anyway.

6. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

From Bells website the Med and large both use 50mm firm pads.

OEM Cheek Pad Sizes:
    XS - 50mm
    SM - 40mm
    MD - 50mm
    LG - 40mm
    XL - 50mm
    2XL - 40mm
    Note: Does not fit older model Bell Star helmets.

Gonna take one out and gauge how much smaller I wanna go.

Thanks all, I feel much more comfortable about getting them now, just wish someone local had em, headed out on a 3 day ride tomorrow.

7. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

You said the website shows both Med and Large use the same, but your chart shows different for each.

This is a timely thread. I have a large Star Carbon and would like it a little tighter on my cheeks, so I can't determine which ones I should get?

8. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

^ yea I noticed that, I was previously looking at the pre 2013 pads where the med and large are the same, with the 2013+ the med and large share a shell so the padds are the difference.

9. 1coopgt

1coopgt Well-Known Member

How long have you had the helmet . I know mine was real tight also but after it broke in its perfect .

10. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Not long, but its more than tight, its like I bought a small.

11. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Well just came back from a 3 day 1050 mile trip, I dont know if the helmet broke in more or my face did, but it fits a little bit better still might get a set of pads 10mm smaller, and I can use just one pad, or both to maximize adjust ability.