1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belize & Cozumel suggestions?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kev59, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Any "can't miss" suggestions for these two? I've got two days in each next week.

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I’m going there next summer with my daughter for a school field trip. There’s some Mayan ruins to see, and some snorkeling in and around a reef as well that I’m looking forward to seeing.

3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Scuba diving is awesome in Cozumel. One of the top 10 sites in the world.
    Chichen Itza ruins are also spectacular, but are a few hours away in land.

4. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

^ This. In late 2017 my wife said 'I booked us and the kids on a Caribbean Cruise (our 1st one). I was upset about the $ a bit, and I asked her where it was going. When she said that one of the stops was Cozumel, I exclaimed "I'm going diving!" I've dove Grand Cayman before too-
    But Cozumel? It was Epic.

5. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Caye Caulker Belize. I've been here almost a month, can't go wrong. Small island, super chill, walking, bicycles, or golf carts to get around

6. Captain Morgan

I spent a month in Cozumel working because the wife on the yacht I was cooking on liked to shop. There are beter places in Mexico in the Yucatan, Isla Mujeres, Holbox, Telum

7. Captain Morgan

Not really, Pelincar reef has been trashed for the last 20 years. It's only listed as a top 10 because they certify tons of tourists who bounce off the reef. There is some great diving in Mexico though, just not where cruise ships go

Lawn Dart likes this.
  8. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Last time I was in Cozumel diving wasn't quite as good. The reefs are being destroyed and/or bleached. Too many dive boats.

Belize - Cavetubing and Ziplining. Its a tourist thing that starts out of Belize City. It was a blast - you hike in in sandals or whatever (its not terribly far), they have tube rafts there for you. You float down the river a ways, through at least one or two decent caves. One of them gets pretty dark - they give you a lighted helmet... This part is at least a couple of hours, depending on your group and how you want to spend the time. The river brings you back to where you started before the hike. Then, you go get fitted for a harness and gloves for the zip lines. There's one zipline where you get going pretty fast and if you don't slow down early, your nuts are going to suffer. Probably one of the better excursions I've been on. You need probably 5-6 hours or more to do this trip, I think.

You could do it in reverse - do ziplining first, then cavetubing, but the benefit of doing the water stuff first is that you dry off on the zipline.

Also - depending on your group and your comfort in the water, they'll either lash the tubes together, or let you float individually. My group was great - we all did it individually and had a blast being able to swim around and not just going where the flotilla ends up going because no one person has control.

9. Captain Morgan

How was the cave tubing? Who did you go with? I have to renew my Visa so going to head over to Guatemala for a week then come back to Belize city for a couple of days and plan on doing the cave tubing

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Palancar is kinda beat up, but other spots around the island are pretty neat.

11. Captain Morgan

True, no such thing as a bad dive as long as you make it back to the top!

12. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I was on a cruise, but I believe the excursion was booked through http://cavetubing.bz/ - they're one of the operator/tour guide groups. The other one that gets good reviews is http://www.mystiquebelize.com/ - they actually look like they have their shit together.

Here's the thing - its one place they all go. So, different operators, but same river and same zip lines. You're basically paying for the guide, use of the equipment, and transportation (its out in the middle of nowhere).

Also, there's food and stuff out there. They do a big lunch spread between events (so tubing, then lunch, then zipline). The food was decent.