1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginners guide to Paris (and Rome)

Discussion in 'General' started by OGs750, Oct 8, 2018.

1. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Despite all the divorce threads advising against it, I'm getting married in just about two weeks and flying out a day later for two weeks in Paris with a few days in Rome. We've never been to either (or Europe period) and could use some first hand knowledge about what to do, sights to see, best methods to get around, etc.

I think we're going to be spending most of our time within the city itself, so is it worth getting a train pass? Is there anything outside of the city that's an absolute must see? Where are the good places to eat? Best cafes to people watch?

I don't want to fill my time there running from attraction to attraction, but don't want to come back thinking that I missed a wholly unique experience. We're definitely going to visit the Louve, Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower - I want to go in the catacombs, but my, soon to be, wife isn't sold on that yet. What other attractions worth seeing? Moulin Rouge?

Things to do to avoid looking too much like a tourist would be helpful as well.

Merci beaucoup!

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Well... that blows the notion that rocket scientists are smrt I mean smart.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

We only spent a few days in Paris. I loved The louvre and Notre Dame. Take your wife to montmartre and have a street artist make her a painting.

If I had a regret it’s that we didn’t go to Versailles. If we were there longer I’d have loved to have seen Mont st Michelle as well but I’m pretty sure that is a long ways from Paris.

We both hated our experience at the Eiffel Tower so we left and grabbed some food and wine and watched the light show on it from a distance on a quiet park bench.

I loved everything about Rome but don’t have a ton of suggestions. My parents have been twice and both times the groups they are with didn’t go up the hill from the coliseum where you can see the Roman Forum from above. I believe it’s called the palatine hill.

OGs750 likes this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think Dart is in Rome now.

6. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I'd spend less than 2 weeks in Paris. Museum Orsay is bettern than the Louve. Skip the hotel and get an apartment through air bnb or something I'll look back at some pics and try to send some of my favorite spots.

How will you get to Rome? Stay in the Trasteverre neighborhood if you can.

OGs750 likes this.
  7. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

French drivers suck, and Italian drivers will mow down pedestrians. The food is good.

dantheman likes this.
  8. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Go to the Eiffel tower at night. There's basically no line after 8/9 and you definietly want to see "the city of lights" at night. It's super romantical. Musee d'Orsay is amazing but if you're going get there right at opening. The lines forms fast and gets stupid long. It's also closed one day - I think Tuesday - so plan accordingly. Paris metro will get you anywhere you want to go very easily and you should have no problem following the maps.

OGs750 likes this.
  9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Congrats!!!!!

Yeah, 2 weeks in Paris is a lot of time. Rent a car and go check out Florence, Mittenwald, Chamonix, Annecy, the Dolomites... lots of cool stuff in the area. A lifetime's worth, actually.

OGs750 likes this.
  10. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I was told if you speak German, the French will be much more helpful and polite.

sharkattack, MachineR1 and Razr like this.
  11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Is a visit to Normandy on your radar?

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Fly to Paris...... Go straight to the train and take it through South France to the Mediterranean.. Its cheap and a great way to see the real country side..We went to Fleur De Franc for a few days then Monaco..... Much better down there than in the city of Paris.. Paris was dirty, smelled like Urine and was Mobbed with tourists... Glad we were there only for 1 night...

13. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

Not sure when you’re leaving but I’m heading to Rome on Saturday and bouncing around Europe a bit. Be back 10 days later and should have some advice. We’re staying in Trastevere and planning hitting the main attractions plus wandering. I’ve heard the Vatican and Colosseum are must see but almost require a tour unless you want to spend all day in lines. I would book ASAP if that’s on your agenda as some do fill up.

14. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

"No baby, we ain't got time for that coloseum crap. We are going to the Ducati factory today in BP, and that's final."

15. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

See the catacombs in Paris.

MachineR1, OGs750, cpettit and 2 others like this.
  16. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

If you're in Rome you HAVE to see Vatican square and take a tour of the Vatican! It is unreal and no matter how many pictures you see they do not do it justice. It doesn't matter if you're catholic or not (I am not) it is truly amazing. Tons of secret tunnels and passageways that are in the roped off areas if you keep your eyes open. the pizza is interesting over there too, nothing like American pizza. Don't bother with the coliseum it's basically a pile of rubble. The taxi drivers are mad men who break every law you can think of but manage to get you to your destination safely they would give Rossi a run for his money. There are also a lot of pick pockets but the police are sympathetic. One of the guys I was with chased down one who stole his wallet, tackled him and broke his forearm in half so bones were poking through the skin. The cops just asked him what happened, arrested the pickpocket and gave his wallet back. We decided to steer clear of Sicily because of the pickpockets. Most people speak English over there because America is the best country in the world lol.

I can't stress enough how amazing and breathtaking the Vatican is though. It is surreal and no matter how many videos and pictures you see you will still be in awe. Ill repeat the coliseum sucked it is a pile of shitty broken up stones.

There is also a cool clothing company called A-Style https://it.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-Style. They have their logo plastered on busses and billboards lmao it wouldn't fly in the USA with all of the snowflakes.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    sharkattack, Phl218 and OGs750 like this.
  17. jim weaver

jim weaver Well-Known Member

im with motion on these places .chamonix annecy and the other spots are fantastic. italian alps are a knockout. i spent 2 months over there and still didnt see every thing i wanted to.

18. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

I'm in Vienna at the moment, heading to Venice tomorrow on the train. We stayed in Paris for 6 days and rented an apartment through VRBO and it was much better than a hotel! Unlike Rabbit, I liked the Eiffel tower. We went just as it was getting dark and I thought it was much more impressive in person than I expected it to be! Ditto on the Musee d'Orsay and the lines, maybe try and get tickets in advance online. We parked the car when we arrived in Paris and walked everywhere while we were there. This was my first time in Paris, I enjoyed it and look forward to returning!

OGs750 likes this.
  19. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Take a day while in Rome and do the touristy stuff like the Coliseum, Vatican, Trevi Fountain. Will be crowded but knock out it while you made it all that way, you won't regret it. After that, find a mom and pop restaurant, get a good bottle of wine and enjoy the people watching. Walk around and explore, so much to see ! Love Rome, Paris, meh but the museums Wow!

20. Phl218

Phl218 .

Das stimmt. Franzosen lieben die deutschen.

dtalbott likes this.