1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bearing removal and installation tools

Discussion in 'Tech' started by DBConz, May 11, 2020.

1. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i'll start this off with i dont have a press, and i'm not going to buy one.

i'm looking to replace the bearings in my linkage and swingarm on the GSXR. also planning on getting a newer GSXR this fall/winter, so i'm looking for something what will also handle wheels, steering head, and lower triple bearings.

I'm looking for an average wrench's tool kit set to do this stuff on my 2 bikes.

i like this one for installing bearings on the chassis: https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0213

anyone else have some stuff they'd recommend? i'm looking at the 3-jaw bearing removal kits as well.
    or if you guys just stick with the old school rod and hammer trick to remove, and use a socket and hammer to install.

i'm not going to go crazy with all these fancy overpriced tools that will be used once every 2+ years, but i want to do the job right.

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

In addition to the socket and hammer approach, you can get some 1/2" all-thread with thick washers and aforementioned sockets to press/pull the bearings into place. Just make sure (as you know) to press the outer race of the bearing and get a large enough washer to pull against the wheel hub on the other side of the wheel.

For removing bearings I really like the wedge style bearing removal tools like the one linked below as you have a lower likelihood of damaging the wheel with the punch:
    https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-Motorcycle-Separator-Extractor/dp/B004MAPN42

3. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

4. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i have the Pit Possee chain tool, and i like their trailer stuff.
    how do their tools compare with Motion Pro? they seem to be much cheaper.

5. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

helps on install to freeze bearings for a day or 2. and if you want, a little heat on the part. sometimes you can just push in by hand

jd41 likes this.
  6. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i've done that trick for my steering head bearings and wheel bearings.

7. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

Removing pressed-in crank & transmission bearings can be done in an oven. Heat to 230F, tap with a soft mallet, and out they fall.

jd41 likes this.
  8. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Just make sure cases are complete free of contaminants and oil. Your wife will kill you if the house smells like burned motor oil.

Regarding Motion Pro tools. In general, their tools are high price, but from my somewhat limited experience with them, they're fantastic to use. They're very well made, cleanly machined and beautifully marked and colored. The amazon stuff is definitely much cheaper, but it's heavy cast crap with junk threads and such. The cheap amazon tools I do have typically do the job, but it's clear to see why the motion pro stuff costs more once you use them.

Whether or not it's worth the premium is your decision of course.

9. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

just ordered this kit for the swingarm and linkage: https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0294
    called my local dealer and ordered all new bearings as well.

i've owned my GSXR for 10 years and never thought about greasing these bearings. so i'm just going to replace them now and grease them every winter.
    the tools will be useful for the next bike too, as i'm going to replace them all as soon as i get something else.

10. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

I just rebuilt the bearings in the steering head, swingarm and linkage. A really good set of punches in various sizes and lengths a variety of smashing devices some 2x4 scraps for making a temp jig to hold the linkage,patience and some time.